no oil pressure

-
Is it a roller cam engine? they have much higher pushrod angles, which is why the 308s have a bigger hole in them for the pushrod. I could see that problem if they used an earlier head on a roller shortblock and didn't elongate the pushrod holes.

I am going to call them Monday morning and see what they have to say before I tell everybody how stupid their builder is. then I will tell about all the other screw-ups. The smog head is my whole problem. again why would they mix up the heads? How hard is it to find a old 360 head. Or even a pair of old 318 heads would have been better.
This is a flat tappet motor not a roller. If I hadn't tore it down I never would have know what happened. I am sure they never would fold me.

You are probably right on that. Best to be forearmed for the coming argument. The head mismatch is unfathomable. Geeez...one more reason why I build my own engines and do as much car work as I can.....seems like half the time I take something somewhere for automotive work, it is messed up. (Had some carpenters do some siding work recently as I did not have the time, and yep, they messed up the trim. Wish my customer's had such low expectations of me!)

Hope you get it straightened out.

Did they use 3/8" pushrods (factory would have been 5/16)? They obviously overlooked a few "somethings" to get that result. A 360 head on a 360 should not have any issues.

When you send this motor back,, take a small chisel, or number punch is better,, and make an "x" or similar mark,, on the block and heads,, where easily seen,, take a pix of the marks,, and look for them on the motor they send back to you.. jmo

all of those push rods could be slightly bent ,I have seen brand new ones that way ,when they press the harden tips on the tube too far ,I've sent many back right out of the box, also check coil bind ,the cam may be larger then the springs .

Well this is Friday afternoon they got the motor Monday at 1045 and they havnt called yet. Iam going to call them Monday morning.

I'm sitting on nins and peedles waiting to find out the problem and how they are going to handle this.

I'm sitting on nins and peedles waiting to find out the problem and how they are going to handle this.

I about peedled myself reading this thread :D

Let's hope the build doesn't say you swapped the heads....likely they are trying to figure out how you got 2 different heads.

I know they have not seemed to want to make things right. When this is all over ill tell everybody who they are and the whole story . I think I should be compensate for all the trouble and work Ive had to do. what do you all think?

Well what have they offered to do? It's hard to form an opinion without an idea what is on their mind. What is there conclusion on the lack of oi pressure?

Well here is the latest on my motor. They said the 308 head and the 596 heads are matching heads.(although they are going to put a set of 596 on it) They even talked about just boring the .5 inch pushrod hole out in the 596 to match the .66 in hole in the 308.
They did agree to tear it apart check everything rebuild it. I talked them into re dynoing and tuning it. They refuse to move my motor ahead of anybody to help make up for all the problems.
The main man said breaking a pushrod was a common thing. Iam 73 years old been driving and racing small blocks since 1966
and never broke a pushrod. Bent a few never broke one.
No date when I will get it back.

Well here is the latest. They finally agreed to rebuild the whole motor. They said the heads were matching 596 and 308 just different numbers. Then they talked about boring out the .5 pushrod hole in the 596 . now there supposed to get another set of 596 heads.
They finally agreed to redyno it and tune it like I paid for to start with. The main man said breaking a pushrod wasn't that rare. I am 73 years old been driving and racing smallblock dodges since 1966 never broke a pushrod, bent a few.
I ask them to move it ahead of some of the other builds to help make up for my problems they caused and the refused to move it. I guess they got my money so why help me.

Personally, I'd tell them they can keep their broken engine with mismatched cylinder heads and ask for my money back.

once i lose faith in someone's competence, there isn't much they can do to get it back.

Personally, I'd tell them they can keep their broken engine with mismatched cylinder heads and ask for my money back.

once i lose faith in someone's competence, there isn't much they can do to get it back.

x2

Having been in the business as long as I have,, We've made a few boo-boos we wish never happened,, but they did,, no-one's perfect all the time..

I always wanted to know about any of our failings,, and definately wanted the opportunity to make it right..

But that job always went to the top of the list,, and I worked on it myself,, for as long as it took,, to minimize the customer's inconvenience...

I'm a youngster compared at 59. I don't understand them not making you top priority! It's like they are telling you, we already have your money and your not important to us right now?
I've been down the this road with machine shops in the past. Like I tell them everyone makes mistakes, it's how you handle them that determines how long I will be using you in the future. The shop I use now has done my work for30 years. Yes he made some mistakes, but always stood behind his work.
I agree with the members above, if you can get your money back I would go that route. But I doubt they will. Good luck

having been in the business as long as i have,, we've made a few boo-boos we wish never happened,, but they did,, no-one's perfect all the time..

I always wanted to know about any of our failings,, and definately wanted the opportunity to make it right..

But that job always went to the top of the list,, and i worked on it myself,, for as long as it took,, to minimize the customer's inconvenience...

x2

Having been in the business as long as I have,, We've made a few boo-boos we wish never happened,, but they did,, no-one's perfect all the time..

But that job always went to the top of the list,, and I worked on it myself,, for as long as it took,, to minimize the customer's inconvenience...

X3
I would tell them you will either be moved up in line, or you'll pull the engine from his shop, contact the better Business Bureau, contact legal council, and file a claim in small claims court over it. I don't think you're owed much more than an apology and top spot in the order but you're definately owed those two and if it goes to court - get legal fees too.

Personally,, I would remind them that you've already waited your turn in the line,, and received a faulty engine,, back the bus up,, you're rightfully STILL at the head of the line waiting delivery of a non-faulty engine,, failing that,, you would like your money back.. so your build can continue in a timely manner, with a motor from somewhere else..

I'm not sure about the laws in your country,, but I think you have the right for your money,, faulty goods, A lawyer will give you a 1/2hr free on the phone,, seek his advice..

hope it helps

PS.. Ask the dude,,

If he bought a hot dog, at the ballpark, and found no weiner,, would he expect to go back to the end of the line,,

It's unreasonable.. THEIR mistake brings you to the front of the line .. jmo

Man that last post I made was crazy. The way it was posted I dunno.
Here is another kicker. The owner and boss want take any phone calls, You have to e-mail him then wait for him to answer. Hows that for custermer service?

Do they have a door? Go with the equipment to retrieve the engine and friends/backup and go visit them. I wouldn't trust emails or phones at this point. Or - have your attorney email them :).

Hey man, sometimes you have to take your losses and move on and chock it up to experience. Go get your engine and run out the door. Then make sure you let us know who it is that is such a POS so no one else gets the bone.

-
Back