no oil to heads.

-

wesleydax

Reaction score
Hi, been lurking for a while and have gotten alot of good info from here. I now cant find an answer to my problem. I have a 68 383 stock rebuild, new everything. oil pressure with gauge showing 70psi. but no oil to rockers. removed rocker assy. and the passage in the head is bone dry. I ran a wire through the passage from the head o the cam and no blockages. pulled motor and tore it back down to check cam bearing, it lines up good on all three holes. ran wire through and no problems, removed crank and ran wire through there its open. al main bearings are correct. everything looks good and the oil pressure never dropped below 50 hot ideling. could the cam be drilled wrong? how do i check that. thanks guys

While running there's no oil?

Did you put the shafts on correctly. Because if you Did them upside
Down Or backwards, you'll get no oil.

There are notches in the end of the shafts. Passenger side notch goes to the rear and drivers side to the front. This is an easy way to remember. Its the road runner way. rr= right rear. drivers side is then opposite so its to the front.

Check to make sure that the head gaskets were not installed backwards or upside down. that could block the oil passage to the heads also.

There are notches in the end of the shafts. Passenger side notch goes to the rear and drivers side to the front. This is an easy way to remember. Its the road runner way. rr= right rear. drivers side is then opposite so its to the front.

X2 With the notches down.

while running the gauge shows oil pressure. but there is no oil to the rockers. i removed the bolt where the oil comes in and while running no oil. it is dry. I did check the rocker shaft and oil holes are down and to the valve. I thought about head gasket. i ran a piece of wire from the head all way through the cam bushing after tearing it down checked both sides this way and actually saw the wire come throught the cam bushing. Same thing for the crank ran wire up to cam bushing and its clear.

Could this be a reversed rear main bearing?
No, because it shows oil pressure which means there is oil to the top of the block,,,,,,hmm

Im thinking cam drilled wrong? the cam holes are clear but do they line up with the bushing holes. Thats the only thing i can think of

You need to pull both rocker shafts clear off and crank the engine, see if you get oil up there. If the no4 cam bearing is wrong, it won't oil

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 520
did that and not a drop of oil. #4 is in correctly. all passages are clean.

Well that's the only place it comes from, the main bearing below it!!

going to check cam tomorrow. and see if it lines up. ill post back what i find

going to check cam tomorrow. and see if it lines up. ill post back what i find

Did you run a wire thru the cam and make sure you have all oil holes intersecting ?

Is this with the engine actually running or spinning the pump wit ha drill ? if the engine is not running and the holes are not lined up , cam has to be in a certain position , no oil will get to the top end .

see picture above ...

Well, problem found. after disassymbling the engine i found that the oil supply from the main rail down to the crank was all but blocked. when the block was cleaned i guess they missed all those ports. thats why i had pressure at the guage. needless to say the bearings are shot.

That's why it's always a good idea to rotate the engine while priming it and making sure oil gets to the rockers...

Well, problem found. after disassymbling the engine i found that the oil supply from the main rail down to the crank was all but blocked. when the block was cleaned i guess they missed all those ports. thats why i had pressure at the guage. needless to say the bearings are shot.

Dang that suxxx. Did the machine shop to the cleaning of the block? I had a machine shop one time deck a block more on one bank of cylinders than the other and actually give it back to me. They had the rotating assembly and everything to make sure it was correct. I feel for ya.

Time to go yell at a "machinist.................."

That's why it's always a good idea to rotate the engine while priming it and making sure oil gets to the rockers...

Great advice for SB or BB. While priming your engine on the stand have a buddy turn the engine by the crank. You will hear and see the oil when the cam passages line up with each bank.

and that's why you clean the block yourself when you get it back from the shop. never ever trust them. now you might have to have the crank turned and it's more money in their pocket. get an engine cleaning brush kit and a power washer to make sure all the crap is out of your motor.

and that's why you clean the block yourself when you get it back from the shop. never ever trust them. now you might have to have the crank turned and it's more money in their pocket. get an engine cleaning brush kit and a power washer to make sure all the crap is out of your motor.

Also great advice!

-
Back