No power to clutch on A/C compressor

-

green72

Reaction score
Just like it says I have no power to the clutch on the A/C comp. Any quick tips on where to track it down?

Fer starters what are we working on? Check the low pressure switch, heater/ AC control switch, fuse?

Here's typical wiring, this is a 72 A body:

Attachments

• ac.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 110
Isn't 67Dart273 the guru? He posted the wiring diagram before you even bothered to describe your car! Get a multimeter and track it down. Don't have one? - free at Harbor Freight w/ coupon. Connect blk lead to BATT- or a good ground. When you think the compressor clutch should be on, touch the red lead to the clutch+, then work upstream, to see where you first get +12 V. Easy in your Dart, try this in a new car w/ sealed connectors!

If clutch+ has +12 V, verify that the body of the clutch is grounded (0 V). If 12 V across the clutch and no magnetism (use a nail), then your clutch is bad, which you could verify w/ ohm measurement (should be <500 ohm at least). In my 82 Aries, the problem was a bad clutch ground so I ran a dedicated wire. If 12 V upstream of the low-pressure switch then either the switch is bad or you are low on refrigerant (use a pressure gage).

If your pnuemo-electric switch is bad (buttons hard to push?), starting saving since ~$100. I wired a relay for "blower high" in all my cars so the high current doesn't melt those expensive parts.

-
Back