No rear flashers and side markers blink with signals

-

Dustman73

Reaction score
Now I dont know if these problems are connected but they have been only recent problems.. My front and rear turn signals work great.. the rear flashers do not work at all.. the right indicator light on the dash works when it wants too, the right side markers and headlight dimly blink opposite of when the turn signals blink.. the headlight is very annoying at night! :mumum: I have checked and cleaned a couple grounds and checked out the signal switch for any obvious problems but everything looked to be intact and functional.. any tips? I'm pretty stumped! Thanks guys!

The dash indicator is likely right in the cluster. Broken/ loose pins on the cluster harness connector, dirty socket fingers a the lamp, or poor lamp to socket contact

The "front end" problems, all sound like one gigantic ground problem to me.

Rear:

Your statement is contradictory:

.. My front and rear turn signals work great.. the rear flashers do not work at all.. !

So which is it?

The rear turn signals don't work? Do you have brake lights? Tail lights? ANY rear lights?

It is odd for so many problems to just appear out of the blue. Have you done any wiring work recently? Has the car been painted recently?(new paint often interrupts grounds). The other thing that comes to mind is that It can be very difficult to "see" a defective turn signal switch. If these problems all just cropped up at once I'd still be checking the turn signal switch. I'd unplug it at the column connector. Run a jumper wire between the two plugs at the one power wire (key on power) and with a simple continuity tester I'd check the output from the switch for each function. I'm at a loss really to guess much without additional information honestly.

I think your 4 way flasher is shot, or the fuse is gone..

I think if you run an independant ground wire to the bulb base of your right rear turn signal bulb,, the probs will go away.. repair the bad grounds..

The headlite grounds at each side of the radiator should be cleaned..

If the signal switch was gone,, the side lite wouldnt flash..

hope it helps

Thanks guys.. yeah its just weird.. my turn signals and brake lights work but no rear flashers.. front flashers work.. I just pulled the little flasher relay and switched it with a good one.. same problems.. I dont know if they all started acting up at the same time but they were all recent.. no new paint job yet and I cleaned the ground on the drivers side of the radiator. . Didnt see any others.. when I have my right signal on and I remove the bulb from the front socket the side markers and headlight stop blinking..

I also pulled the signal switch connector and didn't see any build up or anything that would cause a problem.. I inserted and removed the connector like ten times to hopefully scrape any buildup away.. ill have to try testing each pin at the connector.. I have a busy day today so ill probably have to wait for my next day off..

Look, you are going to have to get your terms more descriptive.

You are saying that "turn signals" work but "flashers" do not

By "flashers" are you referring to the 4 way emergency flashers?

If the rear tail lights work..........

If the rear brakes lights work............

If the rear turn signals work.........

but the 4 way emergency flashers (hazard) do not, the trouble is either a bad 4 way flasher which is SEPARATE from the turn signal flasher, or the flasher is not getting power, OR it's a problem right in the signal switch.

I didn't look it up, but I believe the signal flashers and the hazard flashers are on different fuses

Be sure you are messin' with the correct flasher. Pull the one you "thought was bad," and see if the turn signals continue to operate. If they stop, you are not accessing the correct flasher.

I know it was the right flasher.. it was clicking only when the hazards were on plus I double checked my wiring diagram and its the correct one.. and yeah the hazard lights (4 ways) dont work in the rear.. fronts flash fine.. turn signals work brake lights and signals all work as well.. all fuses are good..

If all the above is true, the trouble is right in the column switch

Okay.. is there any way it could be the gauge cluster pins?? I will check the signal switch next.. I only ask about the pins because I have had a problem with the pins in the past.. which is most likely the signal indicator problem..

-
Back