no reverse

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
No reverse today. Noticed when I first backed it out seemed sluggish in reverse. Brought it home played around with it and nothing at all. Fluid good all other gears seem fine. I'm not even getting a rpm drop when going to reverse. 727 trans rebuilt. Aftermarket shifter, I did wiggle shifter around reverse thinking may be a linkage issue and still nothing

Well, it backed out. Try letting it idle in neutral for a bit, then work the shifter through the gears. Mine is extremely lazy when I fire it and try and back out of the garage after sitting for a while. Unless of course you already tried that.

If it doesn't go into reverse after warmed up you have some inspection to do.
If it does go in after it's warmed up you have some rebuilding to do.

I'd pull the pan and have a look at the rear band and it's adjusting/applying hardware, as well as the servo for it.
You might get lucky and it just needs adjustment to apply.

Coming out after few minutes in garage it was sluggish. After driving a bit so good and warm pulled back in the drive way. Played with shifter and nothing. I thought of the band but wouldn't that effect first as well?

No rev. would be a problem with the rear band or high (front) clutch drum.
rear band used in rev. and as a backup to low roller clutch in manual low only, in drive or second trans pulls out on low roller clutch and forward (rear) clutches.
I would drop pan and check rear band and servo for a problem.

hope this helps , good luck; Lon

The low/rev band is on in rev & manual low (when shifter is down in 1st) it's what gives you engine breaking in manual low. See if you have engine breaking in 1st gear. If not good chance band is broke,blown servo seal or cracked piston for the low/rev band.

pulled the pan, rear servo seems to be intact. the arm does move back and forth pretty freely. I have to pull valve body to check band and pressure test the servo.

Attachments

• rear servo.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 94
How far does the lever travel when you move it like the servo would?
And does the band move when you do it?

There is a flat plate called a strut that makes the lever move the band, and it's kinda hard to see unless you know it's there.

Also, you should pull the servo and check the lip seal on it for damage or hardening.
A section of the seal edge missing could cause exactly what is happenening.

-
Back