No rust just what does it mean

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
No rust,just what does it mean? I see adds were the seller says no rust,but every time I have look at a car I find rust, floor,trunk,rails,cross member it goes on,now some is some what bad,and no so bad, down to what hell does he thinking what he has.Pleas explain,:wack:

It is the type of glasses that the seller is wearing and hoping you have the same brand as well....

"No Rust" I guess that means no body or frame rot, light surface rust is very minor and if it is not deep in the metal, then still rust free in my book. The cancer rot where metal needs to be cut out is another thing...my 2 cents

Depends who you talk to....the seller or the buyer.....sort of like the line perfect interior except for the small rip (8" or so) in the seat....

"No Rust" I guess that means no body or frame rot, light surface rust is very minor and if it is not deep in the metal, then still rust free in my book. The cancer rot where metal needs to be cut out is another thing...my 2 cents

I'm with you on this. If it can be sanded out no rust. If it had to be patched then whole different story.

adds like that usually include " engine runs perfect, just needs a carb , fuel pump , timing chain , distributor , wires , alternator , lifters ... "

No rust,just what does it mean? I see adds were the seller says no rust,but every time I have look at a car I find rust, floor,trunk,rails,cross member it goes on,now some is some what bad,and no so bad, down to what hell does he thinking what he has.Pleas explain,:wack:

My rule is: surface rust isn't "rust"......pinholes or bubbling paint areas that I could jab a screwdriver right through....IS "rust". The middle ground where surface rust has caused the metal to become rough and scarred (like suspension components/crossmembers of "back east" cars) is cause for points subtracted.

Sometimes, when I go look at a car for sale, and the seller's ad says "some rust" and I go out and it's just minor surface rust.......I just smile inside.

If I see an ad that says no rust to me it means run like hell in the other direction!

you can go down to the new car dealer ship and find rust on a new car. if they say no rust run for the hills.

If I see an ad that says no rust to me it means run like hell in the other direction!

That funny you say that, because I could swear the people who are upfront and almost apologetic about selling their "rusty" cars (where the cars are mint with just minor surface rust).......are in direct opposites to these other guys who are loudly proclaiming their mint, garaged grandma "barn finds".....that usually have cardboard and birthday cake bondo frosting in the quarter panels. That's a trip!

NO rust is defined differently depending on where people live. That term is WAY overused IMO........:roll:

In PA, 'no rust' just means the holes in the floor are not big enough to get your feet through... LOL

I see it the same way. Although sometimes I would rather have a little rust than a desert find California rust free vehicle where every piece of rubber on the vehicle's body and chassis is cracked, broken and all needs to be replaced...

I like the 1 motor runs gr8 just needs ? ? lol and no rust have to open door to stick foot out to slow down , just a very loose term to help get a bite. my ram has no rust
doesnt have a straight panel on it either , or hidden well or already mudded in. I bought a car on e bay said no rust there had to be 3 gallons of fiber glass and 5 gallons of mud on it , car ran gr8 as long as you started it with a roll and popped the clutch . if you cant look , touch or beat it don't buy it,. I am slowly learning I got burned 1nce in FABO took it out to the Fabo family , and got a refund in less than 10 days. BUYER BEWARE still needs to be followed but I found out what 100% garonteed ment. my buddy bought some 68 dart quarters asdrertized no rust ,gr8 condition they came all beat to hell like you just went thru a hail storm at 100 mph,
but there was no rust lol . all we can do is tell it like it is some cases people still want the parts if they are that hard to find . just because a guy has a hammer doesn't make him a carpenter ,and a tool box full of tools , doesn't make you a mechanic . and no rust means its probably hidden . dig a little deeper

I agree with it depending on where you live! Here in Ohio, like in PA, rust free means that the holes are repairable without replacing the entire panel lol.

VERY SOLID MOPAR for sale, it just needs quarter patches, trunk and floor pans...
WTF ? HA HA HA
...some people

I've seen, and laughed at, those ads too.....like this:

"68 Dart absolutely zero rust anywhere, except quarter-sized holes in driver's floor and some small bubbling over both rear wheelwells and a dime-sized hole under rear glass"

I guess it depends on the seller- my brother sold his Demon this year, and if there was an ad for it it would have said 'no rust'. Because it literally had zero rust on it anywhere...

No rust means made of something other than steel.

Kind of a "is the glass half empty or half full" statement and it depends on your outlook of life.

It apparently varies state to state. I sold my 74 Challenger to a fellow from Ohio who went on all about the bit of restoration, keeping in touch and sending pictures. Never heard from him again but saw it for sale later. When I sold it to him it had rusty lower quarters, some bubbling under lower vinyl roof, some in lower fenders. Some surface rust on the step plate. It had been introduced suddenly to a concrete bridge and telephone pole by me and had a nice telephone pole sized dent in the fender and no bumper and smunched hood. I had straightened the frame and new radiator.

I had a friend call from Colorado to Ohio just out of curiosity. He did nothing to it and advertised it as a rust free Kentucky car. He said it is a good driver and had a small dent in fender that you could easily fix if you were picky.

-
Back