No Spark and No Fuel

-

-=Q=-

Reaction score
Had intermident starting. But now just gave out. Replaced coil and ballast resistor. Cranks but does not turn over. Ive got a new voltage regulator and ignition module that i can swap out if I need to. But prefer to find the problem instead of replacing everything. Any ideas? 74 Plymouth Duster

Last edited:
Have you checked the ECU for the electronic ignition??? (control box)

We had a no spark issue last year, and here's the thread on it... Some good info on how to check the voltages at the ballast, coil, and ECU...

Don't dismiss any wiring or connector issues....

Need help with no spark

Last edited:
FIRST, please learn terminology ............

CRANK..........starter operates and rotates engine

TURNS OVER.....same as above

FIRES..............coughs, attempts to run, may remain running

FIRES AND RUNS, or RUNS.........

Start by rigging a test gap at the coil. Either buy one or make, or "rig" a spark plug. Crank WITH THE key and see if you have spark.

Turn key to run. Disconnect distributor connector, and tap the bare end of the harness connector (not the distributor end) to ground. Each time you do so should produce a spark

DO NOT USE the coil wire to see spark, or at least check it first with your ohmeter. Suppressor wires can "burn" open internally and this includes the coil wire. Generally, I use either "solid core" coil wire for testing, or even a clip lead or scrap of low voltage wire. If you "hang it in the breeze" it works fine

"Work" all ignition connectors.........the distributor especially, the ECU, and the ballast in/ out several times to scrub the contacts clean and to "feel" for tightness. Inspect them carefully visually

The ECU MUST be grounded. Remove, scrape around the bolt holes and remount using star lock washers

Key in "run" make some measurements. Measure at coil PLUS should be somewhere between 6 and 10 volts depending on your coil.

Measure coil NEG it should be very low, perhaps 1 or 2 volts. If you have a tach, temporarily DISCONNECT the tach from the coil NEG

A coil can be tough to troubleshoot. That is the one thing that you might just want to keep a spare so you can "throw" at it. You don't need to ground a coil, just lay it nearby and hook it in, even if you use "clip" leads

Thanks for all the help guys gonna go take a shot at it right now. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Alright got it started after finding out a few host of problems. Replaced ignition module. Then car wouldn't even turn over. Put it in nuetral, then it cranked. Got spark still no fuel. I'm assuming because the car was on a hill and sitting for awhile, lost vacuum and wasn't getting fuel. Primed the carb till it started getting fuel from the tank. So now car is running. I just need to go get a nuetral safety switch and swap it out. Thanks for the pointers guys.

If the starter relay actuated in N but not in P, the NSS is probably fine and doing its job. The shift linkage either needs adjusting or has too much slop from worn or missing nylon bushings. For next time, 2 things to keep on hand are a can of starting fluid and an in-line spark tester ($3 Harbor Freight). That way, you can quickly narrow it down to either "no spark" or "no fuel".

-
Back