No Spark (I know this has been covered )

-

iw378

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I am by no means a lame person that cant wrench and by no means an electrical guru and yes I have read several threads using the search function to try and help fix my problem. 69 barracuda I re wired it with a ron francis kit. When I re wired my car I did it step by step, proper tools, function tested each circuit before I did the final install.
I have an FBO box with a mopar perf distributor that was re curved at fbo and a flamethrower coil recommended by Don. Car starts right up when cold, once it died on me going through an intersection, I coasted through it pulled over and it fired right up. The last 4 failures were no spark while trying to start after driving for about 30 miles or so and its random. I've put about 1000 miles on the car since the rebuild with about 4 no start issues after driving and 1 no spark problem when driving. When I get a no spark on a restart after a few more tries it will fire. I do have a new ign switch. So right now I am suspecting the switch, the fbo box , or the coil. It's such a random problem that I don't know where to start. I know this has been covered but my problem is when I go to diagnose it the car will fire up when it feels it wants to ?

I would start by suspecting the coil or the pick up coil in the distributor.

Classic symptoms, cuts out randomly, starts after it cools etc.

You could check the air gap in the dizzy between the reluctor and the pickup and make sure it's at .008.

DO THIS with a brass feeler gauge.

I yanked the distributor today and the gap was bigger than .008. I reset it and verified grounds of the fbo box and the voltage regulator were good. I'll put some more miles on her to see if it happens again. My next suspect would be the aftermarket probably made in china ignition switch. Just have to wait till the next failure who knows when. As far as the coil goes it is the recommended coil for the fbo box. Pertronics flamethrower I would assume that is epoxy filled. I have it mounted flat now.Would mounting it vertically make a difference ?
I appreciate the tips BadSport.
Luke

How do you know it is "no spark" and not "improper fuel"? You could install an in-line spark tester on #1 cyl as you drive. When it dies, you will need a remote starter or friend to crank as you view it. I keep one in all my gas cars ($3 Harbor Freight). When my 65 Newport died instantly, I installed it, found no spark, so swapped the Crane XR700 box (had a spare) and it fired up (w/ lamp flashing in tester) and I drove home, leaving the spark tester in place since had my family along and didn't want to risk stranding. Didn't seem to hurt it or use up too much of the neon bulb's life.

I would start by suspecting the coil or the pick up coil in the distributor.

Classic symptoms, cuts out randomly, starts after it cools etc.

You could check the air gap in the dizzy between the reluctor and the pickup and make sure it's at .008.

X2.

Pickup coil in the distributor is the first thing I think of that can come and go like this. Chased this same issue. Its a $20 part from AutoZone. I have heard of canister coils fading when they get hot...but not really random off and on like the pickup coil in the distributor. Worth replacing if you have checked all your connections

-
Back