No spark

-

rvh072

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster from Oz. Here's my problem. Have recently installed a new ignition system consisting of a MSD digital 6Al,blaster hvc coil and mopar dizzy. Was running great until last Friday when i decided to go for a drive. Car turned over no worries but had no kick. Pulled a wire and got my daughter to crank the engine alas no spark. Thought maybe it was the coil so i connected my old one still no spark. No obvious loose wires or bad earths. It's got me stumped. I'm new to Msds. Am i missing something? Thanks in advance for any advise.

check the air gap on the pickup coil inside the distributor...should be around .008...need brass feeler gauge..

I forgot to mention the coil had no zap, i could even put my hand on it.

Do a search for "How to test an MSD ignition box"
I seem to remember a test sequence that they use for those to see if they are working correctly.

Feeling like a bit of a knob atm. Just changed the ballast resister and bang she fired straight up. Please don't judge me, just goes to show,don't try to complicate things. Thanks for the advise people even though i shouldn't have needed it!

Ballast resistor with a msd digital.......you might want to check msd instructions....the msd units usually dont run a ballast resistor..

I didn't install it myself as i hate all things electrical. Had it done professionally. Will this create problems?

Got it running but it's a bit hit or miss whether it starts or not. Last time i started it the amp gauge was going crazy so i shut it down. When i cut the engine the starter motor continued to crank until i disconnected the battery terminal. Any idea what is going on?

look on the starter relay switch...make sure the solenoid wire and the battery wire ...which are right next to each other...are not touching....

-
Back