No spark

-
@67Dart273 . Can you please help me. I am wanting to know what these wires go to. They fell out when I took the steering column cover off. I am trying to figure out why all of a sudden I have no power to the positive of my coil. Blaster 2 high vibration part # 8222. My distributor is a msd ready to run billet non programmable. I replaced the ground cable on the battery. Because of no crank issue it fixed that problem. Now it cranks real good but no spark and no power at positive side of coil. I also attached photos of a chewed tan wire coming out of the bulk head from under dash thank you Tom.

20240823_131246.jpg

20240823_131244.jpg

20240823_130927.jpg

20240823_130935.jpg

I have the same brown/tan wire hanging down under my dash, since 1968. IIRC that goes to the start solenoid and when it gets grounded, by the trans, it relays the starter to crank. Not sure.

As to the 4-pin connector, IDK.
Doesn't look factory to me; you got a column-mounted tach? or an aftermarket cruise-control?

Can you give us the color of each wire going into the 4 pin connector. Some wires may have a small black stripe.

Cruise control was not a option on the 74 Dart, but the 4 pin connector is the type used on cars with cruise. The wire colors don't match any Mopar cruise control from that era. If you really want to investigate further, you will have to pull the steering wheel.
The 3 bulkhead connectors in the engine compartment must be unplugged from the bulkhead.
More difficult to reach if you have power brakes.

Cruise control was not a option on the 74 Dart, but the 4 pin connector is the type used on cars with cruise. The wire colors don't match any Mopar cruise control from that era. If you really want to investigate further, you will have to pull the steering wheel.
The 3 bulkhead connectors in the engine compartment must be unplugged from the bulkhead.
More difficult to reach if you have power brakes.
Thank you for the responses. I have tried to unplug the connections from in the engine compartment.But they will not disconnect no matter how hard I pull is there squeeze tabs or something holding .thank you

There are locking tabs located at the top and bottom of each connector. Be careful prying on them because they are easy to break.

Sorry, I have a house fire cleanup, staying with friends and am not here very much. Were you involved in the lost memory sticks for the 74 manual? I now have the digital files recovered, but a couple of you guys, your mailers and memory sticks are history.

Re the molex connector. Are there any odd controls on your turn signal staff? There were a couple of aftermarket, add-on cruise controls.

The tan may well be your coil bypass circuit for starting.

Below, IGN sw connector. S2 is tart wire, Q2 is out to accessory, J2a is "run" from key, J3 is your ballast bypass, live only in start, and J1 is power coming TO the key
74IGNsw.jpg

74coil_ballast.jpg

74ballast.jpg

Below, the ign sw is depicted incorrectly. The ST terminal with the 12Y and 12BR are actually separate isolated contacts. They are both live in "start." 12BR is your ballast bypass
74ignswa.jpg

-
Back