No start condition after running a while

-

72smallairparticler

Reaction score
So I drove the duster over to the local alignment shop this morning. Started fine, but when I dropped it off and left the tech said he couldn't get it started.

It's the 1920 holley 1 barrel, recently rebuilt. I also recently checked the timing and it was running decently. Not sure what it could be but it sucks potentially having to tow it home from a shop...

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 9.42.34 AM.png

^^That, plus the basics. Spark, fuel, compression....................(and does it crank fast enough AKA battery run down. Would not be unheard of for a tech/ parking lot rat to leave the headlights on, run down cranking, or leave the key on and burn the points, damage coil or blow up ballast resistor

I have a guy here with a 1972 Duster slant 6 .It has the same problem. Also a 67 Barracuda same problem. It is the fuel boiling after the car is shut down. It bubbles past the needle and seat and floods the engine.

On the slant 6 we installed a return style filter from a 86 dodge pickup and hooked the return nipple to the line from the tank that goes to the charcoal canister. On the 67 we added the line from the 71 car and hooked it to the return nipple on the filter.

Ethanol fuel is the problem with all older carbureted engines. It has a lower boiling point and needs a return to relieve pressure and also keep the fuel flowing so it does not dead end at the carburetor when running.

100_0101 (2).JPG

Interesting. Any place I can get more detailed installation info on this? It's definitely boiling once the car shuts down and i'd love to figure out a way to get the slant running more reliably
Thanks @Oldmanmopar

They sell a return style fuel sending unit. You can buy that and leave your charcoal canister hooked up.

We just ran a hose to the vent line that comes from the tank that went to the charcoal canister over to the filter. The metal feed line came across in front of the water pump to the filter. We replace the filter and zip tied a hose to that line to see if it would work. Car runs great now.

-
Back