No start. Work the problem with your help!

-

53ryder

Reaction score
In August I bought a '65 Dart. Owners said it had been sitting for last 4 years. It would start right up then. In mid-September on way home from brake shop it started running very rough, but I got home. Next day would turn over but not catch. After some checking I discovered gas had gone bad and tank very rusty.

So I replaced tank, sending unit and one of the fuel lines. Cleaned out the other line. Replaced filter. Finally yesterday I put a couple of gallons of gas in tank and tried to start her. Won't catch, will turn over very willingly. I can see fan turning as I try to start it. Fuel to filter, which is just about 6 inches before carb. Fuel at carb as I back off fuel line at carb some gas would leak out. Had wife pump the pedal yesterday, looked like fuel coming in carb itself. I could see fuel coming in.

So what's the problem?

Plugs need cleaning/replacing?
No spark?
Carb fouled up from running that bad gas/varnish?
Busted timing belt?

What would be a good thing to check next/now? Never done any of this so some wise help would be deeply appreciated!

Glenn

P.S. Am not lamenting changing the tank, etc. That was sorely needed anyways!

How long did you crank it? It could be something as simple as the fuel lines are empty of fuel and need to fill up. Look down the top of the carb and move the throttle linkage. You should see fuel spray inside the carb, if not you are not getting fuel.

Depending on what fuel line and what engine you have you possible could have unintentionally adjusted you needle valve in the carb. This mainly applies to slant six bbl carbs. What engine do you have and what fuel line was replaced?

Vehicle does not have a timing belt it has a chain. It is not likely to be the problem if it ran until you turned it off. My guess is you have a dirty carb. They are not to hard to clean and rebuild, but beware of part store rebuilt carbs. They are notorious for missing parts and generally causing as many problems as they fix.

What motor is in the car?
Did you check for spark yet?
What is the condition of the points, cap, rotor, spark plugs?
Sounds like no spark.
~Michael

There's fuel to the carb. I have a slant 6.

Should check for spark. Pull plug and re-connect to wire and hold it near wheel well and see if there's a spark?

Glenn

For the future, get an in-line spark tester ($4), remote starter switch ($5), and multimeter (free w/ coupon), all Harbor Freight prices (proceeds support China).

To not tee off your wife (if like mine), connect the starter switch on your starter relay (firewall) between the big stud (BATT+) and the spade terminal where the yellow wire connects. You can now actuate the starter under the hood.

If you see a good spark, try spraying starter fluid down the carb throat (engine off, open throttle wide, spray, close throttle). It should fire on that, unless your carb is flooding it with fuel. You can block off the fuel supply to stop that. It is common for a carb to overflow the bowl and flood fuel if the float needle gets crap on its seat, the same way a toilet fill valve will run on. To go further, get a timing light ($5 used) to see if it is sparking at the right time (mark on crankshaft pulley).

-
Back