No Start

-

69 DART"420"

420.DART GT 69
Reaction score
OK HERES THE DEAL ABOUT 4-5 YEARS AGO DID THE TIMING CHAIN ON MY 69 DART GT ENG IS 273 2 BARL.ALL STOCK MOTOR AFTER I DID THE CHAIN I NEVER STARTED IT IT SAT LAST COUPLE OF YEARS SO I CHANGED THE SPARK PLUGS NEW OIL DROPED THE GAS TANK NEW BAT ECT NOW IT CRANKED AT FIRST A FEW TIMES NOW U TURN THE KEY CRANKS ONE TIME THEN NOTHING IT SOUNDS LIKE THE STARTER I THINK ANY HELP /SUG.OF SOMTHING I FORGOT/OVER LOOKED THANKS TOO MANY PROJECTS NOT ENUFF DAM MONEY:cheers:

If it was me;
1. Make sure the battery is good. I usually jump to my truck which has dual batteries plus the car battery.
2. Pull the plugs and spin the engine w/the starter. It should spin like crazy. This also eliminates any chance of a hydrolic lock. (will only crank once around)
3. Double check the dist. I checked my 273 twice before installing it and when I couldn't start it I checked it again it was 180 out. This step, of course, is after you get it cranking.

MVRCorp has some good tips. Here's how I would proceed...

1. Jump the starter relay and see if it cranks more than before without stopping. We had a similiar problem after Easter and it turned out that the "new" battery was junk. Replaced it with a DieHard Gold and we have no problems cranking/starting. I have learned that Autolite and Delco batteries are junk and only trust DieHard Gold now. See previous postings for reference from Easter.

This puts just starter and battery in loop If it still hangs take in both and have them tested. This coincides with his #1 reply.

If this passes proceed-

2. Follow his #2 above for hydraulic lock with all plugs pulled and crank engine. Remove distributor cap and put finger over #1 spark plug hole while cranking "after spinning to remove any residual fluid in cylinder" and watch rotor pisition as engine cranks. When you feel pressure building against finger stop engine and see where rotor is pointing. This is your #1 compression stroke and the rotor should be pointing at #1 plug wire position on distributor cap. This will eliminate/verify 180° off distributor.

If this is off -

Verify #1 TDC with MP stop or roughly by sticking screw driver in hole and turning engine over with 1 1/4 socket and ratchet until piston and screw driver begin to go down (carefully as not to cause damage).

***Note rotor position and vibration damper TDC marks***

Make this your new #1 wire position on distributor cap and then rewire distributor in direction of rotation with firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. This can correct if distributor/oil pump gear was removed and installed in different position than "stock". Easier than removing and repositioning gear (which may require removing intake manifold to correct). Just make this #1 TDC on your distributor cap and reposition wires on cap (after verifying correct compression stroke as above). Mark cap for new #1 wire position for future reference. I also like to highlight marks on timing cover and balancer with white touch up paint or white out to make easier to see with timing light.

This goes along with #2 and #3 above.

Set crank at #1 TDC and line up dist cap #1 wire position with rotor as best as you can by eye to get started. I recommend tightening dist clamp screw enough so you can have some resistance to rotate dist by hand to set timing with light once started (this helps keep it from moving if dist is too loose and rotating by itself when starting.

Then try to start or verify spark as below.

3. Verify spark.

Disconnect coil wire from cap and crank over engine with ignition key in run or start position. Hold end of wire 1/8 inch from ground (metal on engine) and watch for spark to jump. this proves spark is coming out of coil.

Next verify spark at plug. Use spare plug or one that is not installed yet from steps above. Put plug in wire and hold to engine ground such as intake manifold or intake bolt and verify plug is sparking (I keep an old plug in glove box for emergency verification to save time to remove one).

**Once you verify spark is getting to plugs make sure you are getting gas**

4. Verify gas. Cycle carb linkage with ignition and look for gas to come out of squirters in carburetor.

Don't worry about flooding engine. If engine gets flooded just get in car and put accel petal to floor and hold it there while cranking. The extra gas will be pushed out of cylinders into exhaust in 10-20 seconds of cranking and no new gas will go in as long as you keep petal to floor and engine will start when the excess gas is evacuated - you do not have to wait 15-20 minutes for it to evaporate as the old myth goes.

5. Once you verify good starter and battery, if you have gas and spark and timing is this close the engine should start with some cranking.

***Start engine and set timing***

6. If no start or engine runs rough, how sure of you that you lined up timing marks on cam and crank when installing new chain. If you did not line up correctly remove timing chain cover and verify. The cam mark should be at 6 o'clock and crank mark at 12 o'clock. Use metal ruler or piece of string from center of cam bolt and crank bolt and make sure they are properly lined up. Get as good of "birds eye view" from as dead on front view as you can get. I like to look from front of grill if radiator is removed for best shot. This is where "measure once and cut twice" is recommended. Make sure marks are properly lined up as in chain or service manual instructions and you are not a tooth off. I would do this after all of the above is verified as this requires taking everything apart again.

Good Luck

Let us know if this works or you need more help. Keep us posted.

Remember the basic rule of combustion:

If you are getting spark and gas - it should start. You need three things for combustion: spark, gas, air.

I was gonna give you my opinion too,but all those caps in your post gave me a headache:munky2:

Cool thanks for the info hopefully sunday i can work on it i will keep eveyone posted and sorry about the caps :happy10:

well i got some time so i started by pulling the starter and i noticed on the starter housing where the bottom bolts on the housing was broke off not good so after seeing that had a bad feeling it was seized so i put a socket on the crank and tryed to turn it over by hand and no luck did not move so now i have to think about the rebuild stay stock stroke it what do you guys think :-D

if it ran good before,take the plugs out,suirt some good penetrating oil in the spark plug holes,and see if you can turn it over with the socket and pull bar again.

Had a problem on this car. It sounded like it was starting but die when the key was released. Turns out the ammeter is in the run circuit and it had fried. Connect ammeter leads on same post to by-pass dead meter. Rebuilt the ammeter to withstand an 85 watt alternator.

Try turning the engine backwards and see if it moves.

Also pull the valve covers and rocker arms off and see if all of the valves are the same height. You may have bent a valve and just need a valve job. If the valves are different heights pull the heads and go from there.

-
Back