Noise from engine

-

archerandethansdad

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 68 barracuda convertible with a original 318 4bbl with an upgraded cam, indy heads 3 spd auto. I installed the cam last summer and broke in fine. Towards the end of summer i noticed a ticking sound which i thought was an exhaust leak. I went for a little drive this afternoon and was getting on the throttle when i noticed a very fast tapping sound got it home and made this recording. I'm thinking a lifter but i'm not an expert. I would add a link but this system won't let me embed the youtube video. Maybe someone can tell me how i can or upload a video.

Could be a weak lifter. I have one that starts ticking when it gets warm.

I don't know what I hear in less than 3 seconds.

Hello, I have a 68 barracuda convertible with a original 318 4bbl with an upgraded cam, indy heads 3 spd auto. I installed the cam last summer and broke in fine. Towards the end of summer i noticed a ticking sound which i thought was an exhaust leak. I went for a little drive this afternoon and was getting on the throttle when i noticed a very fast tapping sound got it home and made this recording. I'm thinking a lifter but i'm not an expert. I would add a link but this system won't let me embed the youtube video. Maybe someone can tell me how i can or upload a video.
Sounds like a lifter / rocker arm issue

Thanks. Some of us old farts are hard of hearing. That's much better. While I wholeheartedly agree about the exhaust leak theory, I also hear what may be a valve train tick......and it sounds like it's trying to skip. Try running a compression test and see what you come up with.
No worries, i'm no spring chicken. If it's a lifter can i just swap it out for a new one? Whats the process for a new lifter?

If it is a lifter, you can try and disassemble it and clean it out. There could be trash in it. I have heard of people swapping out a bad lifter with a new one. What are your other options really? Change it all, new cam and lifters? 16 more chances for another bad lifter? Buy the absolute BEST set out there for hydr lifters and swap them all? One bad lifter puts you in a pickle. There is always risk with hydr lifters. If you go the one lifter swap, make sure it spins as you turn it over. Lube the contact area.

I have tried to eliminate the exhaust leak my experience is it only taps like that right off the head further down the line it's just loud. I don't want to keep tightening the manifold i'm worried i will break a stud or crack the head.

Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to it before tearing the valve covers off. You can remove the probe down to open tube and hear the exhaust leak, and you should be able to feel exhaust blowing out at the source of the noise. I'm sorry but I dont like unnecessary wrenching ...:)

exhaust leak should be felt too and possible seen with a black blowby, remove the fan belt and blow some cigar smoke down there to see if it gets disturbed. Id have no issue replacing one lifter with a new one. Break in as usual, just try and make sure its rotating when the motor is running. Put a blob of white out on the edge of the lifter and the pushrod to aid in seeing if its rotating as designed. Id pull the clip and dump the guts onto a paper towel and see if any trash comes out. Just about every lifter I pulled has some glitter in the bottom as its a blind hole, no circulation.

Yeah noises are weird a spark jumping from a plug wire will sound like "tick tick tick..." its all fun figuring it out. Like said though a stethoscope gets you in the pinpoint area pretty quick.

Get a friend, or maybe not so much a friend, to use bulky cloths to try and plug tailpipes while it's running.
You'll locate the noise .

The cloths will get HOT !

all good stuff. I like the trans fluid idea. I did find the issue on the exhaust leak i removed the passenger side manifold and the center ports had blow by on the bottom of the gasket. Looks like the manifold was sanded there and letting exhaust by. I RTV'd it just along the bottom to fill in the space. I'll let it sit and try tomorrow evening. I heard somewhere that sb mopars used to just bolt the exhaust manifolds right to the head no gaskets or shims. Anyone know of this?

Sure, factory brand new parts were at times assembled without gaskets

Half a century later, that may not be the best way to do it...I prefer remflex

As for the noise, pop a valve cover off and see how all the rockers act
If a lifter is not cooperating you should see that up there

-
Back