noises in my car after disc conversion

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
I got my drums converted to discs, got my new wheels and new tires installed and my front end aligned. New calipers and pads. New master cylinder from NAPA for a 74 Dodge Charger, info below.

I swapped out my 7 1/4 rearend with 9" drums with a 7 1/4 with 10" drums. New brakes and wheel cylinders etc on the rear end. The rear end has more backlash in the spider gears than my original rear. I pulled the drum on the rear and there does not seem to be any dragging coming from there. I have some suspicion that some noise may be from the rear end.

Problem is I am hearing roaring noises as I get up to 35 mph or so, I have not gotten too much faster than that. I cant tell if it is coming from the front or rear yet. It just gets louder the faster I get.

I know I read somewhere about the MC causing dragging on the discs if a valve was not pulled from the MC. Can someone enlighten me on this? Can anyone suggest what I can check out?

MC info
Part Number: NMC M2066
Brake Master Cylinder Bore Size : 1.03125"
Brake Master Cylinder Line Thread Size : 1/2"-20, 9/16"-20
w/ Manual Brakes
w/ Reservoir

Wow what a ride but nice to have it on the road again!

Thanks
John

I think you may be right to look toward the rear end as being the noise, R&P. A roaring sound that increases with speed doesn't sound like any brake noise i've heard. Wheel bearings also come to mind, but your fronts are new so could be a axle bearing.
I'll let another member speak to the master cyl. with a conversion as i don't have direct experience with that.

P.S. that's gonna be a nice ride when you get it squared away:thumblef:

Thanks, yeah I thought about wheel bearings, did not replace them when I put the rear end in, ;-(
Adding to my list...

BTW: I tried the turning the wheel to change the load on the wheel bearings and it did not seem to make much difference.

-
Back