Noisey Lifters

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
Seems like no matter what I do I end up with a couple of noisey lifters on each side of the motor. I have adjusted the valves 20 times at least, I have used every method ever created. I have checked for retainer to roller rocker interference-ok I have shimmed the shafts -still the same. I am beginning to wear out the threads on the adjusters and the shaft bolts..LOL
Ideas?

Ok what motor do you have and if it is a pre roller block, did you have the lifter bores bushed?

74-360 block- roller rockers on flat tappet cam -Just rebuilt -but it was quiet last year-new cam and lifters

its a hydaraulic cam? What brand lifters? sometimes if an engine sits for a while and hrdraulic cams are used, it takes a while for them to get "quiet" again. then there are some bad lifyers out there too.

lunati cam and lifters hydraulic- hasn't sat as I pulled the motor last month for a rebuild and put it in last week - just now getting it fired up and trying to dial it in -
One thing I have found is it is only the pass side making noise and by setting the valve to zero clearance and only a 1/4 turn is quieter but still not right . Going to cut an old vale cover so I can tell which cylinders are making noise

Follow up on the noisey lifters

I went in and set the lifters to zero clearance and no extra preload. ran the engine withoout valve cover and found 1 lifter not pumping up at all when running... obviously that lifter needs to be looked at real close -BUT the rest were quiet! On the other side of the engine I have then set with 3/4 turn of preload and they are quiet !! Can this cam be run with less than 1/4 turn preload or what will happen at high rpm? Won't it act like a solid cam without the noise?

It's not the cam but the lifters that determine the preload. What lifters are they? Factory type? A performance branded anti-pump-up?

right you are but what happens if you run the lifters at zero clearance and no pre load?

ya top of the line Lunatis - bought as a cam/lifter kit

yep oil all over the place ...i gonna pull the intake and grab that lifter and take it apart and flush it out an see what happens

I had a noisy lifter, turned out to be a wiped cam lobe, have you looked the lobes over?

Pressure is common to all lifters through the lifter galley. If one is ticking, pull the lifter and pull the circlip to take the plunger apart. Keep everything in order and make sure the check ball is there and the seat is not buggered.
Hydraulic+Lifter+diagram.jpg

The anti-pump ups are usually designed to run with little preload and are almost always noisier than the factory types... I'd give Lunati a call and see what they say it should be.

I pulled the one lifter that wouldn't pump up and tore it apart and it was totally destroyed inside...brand new lifter like too long a pushrod (but they are all the same length) haven't fired it up yet with the rebuilt lifter. I used this same cam and lifters last year in this motorwith no prob so when I rebuilt it this year I bought the same setup new again ....crazy crap!!!

found the rest of the problem too. Seems one of the rocker shaft hold down bolts was slightly longer than the rest ,when I torqued the bolts it bottomed out and let the shaft flex ...sounded just like a tappet !!! put the rebuilt lifter in (took guts from another Lunati lifter I had and put in my body so as not to change wear pattern and hopefully not waste the lobe) sounds fine now and runns good

thanks all for the sugesstions

-
Back