Noisy a904

-

67 gt

A Wog boy who loves his Mopars !
Reaction score
I hope some one can shed some light on this problem im having.when im driving around 30-35 mph i start getting a grinding noise comming from the tranny,once i go over to 40 plus it seems to go away.When i lift my foot off the throttle or put it in neutral no noise.It up shifts great, no slippage,no delay when putting it in reverse, oil is clean just a very slight leak from the rear seal.It dosnt do it in 1st or 2nd gear only in 3rd,I had the car fitted with a new exhaust system due to it was rubbing in some areas and was in need of a replacement but now those areas are fixed i notice the sound a lot louder.Can some one shed some light on this problem or have experience this before.The transmission is std with a stock converter running behind a 273.Thanks

What makes you think it's coming from the transmission? Have you put it up on a lift and ran it through the gears and listened to it? If not do so to determine positively where the noise is orginating. A trans. doing what you say would be extremely rare but there are several other things that can do what you describe.

Loose convertor bolt,bad U-joint,broken trans mount?.In all my years working with cars/trucks.I,ve never heard grinding coming from a trans,other than a starter on a bad ring-gear.Thats only when trying to start the vehicle.Best get it up on a hoist for diagnosing.:wack:

Ok i took the car to get it checked out and found out the noise is comming from the diff, centre(crown and pinion) and trans check out great! now to hunt for a rear end.

U-joints will fail if there is any chance that your symmetry is out. It only takes one dry cap and it will make a hell of a racket new joints and balancing run about $150 well worth the trouble.

-
Back