Non mopar colors

-
There are some great bronze colors that would look really good on that.
A gold might give a more subdued look.
I always wanted to put wood grain racing stripes on the hood & roof of a minivan, you should consider it for this - or - bronze with gold stripes on hood & roof ( a buddy ordered a gray Viper with silver stripes very cool look.)

Hey Rani, I'm not sure if you're familiar with it(I wasn't until recently) but there is a 71 c-body color called April green iridium (j4 code) that is pretty cool and different. My buddy is painting his 71 challenger that color. I like it a lot as well.:glasses7:

I was thinking like this newer Jeep color. It has the 60's retro look,with more pop(mica instead of metallic). A nice metallic color, would go nice on the wagon(JMO, my thoughts anyway). Paint, is so personal.

Attachments

• images (3).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 269
I was thinking like this newer Jeep color. It has the 60's retro look,with more pop(mica instead of metallic). A nice metallic color, would go nice on the wagon(JMO, my thoughts anyway). Paint, is so personal.

I am liking the idea of a mica over a metallic.

Thanks for the idea

What color is the interior?
Try to find a color that blends well together will be your best bet.

Also for reasonable paint materials check out Summits paint line, the base/clear lays like glass, also I have heard that Southern Polymers makes good paint.

Here is generic Summit base/clear called "huggin orange:

opBPFj.jpg

If you're going to two tone it, get ahold of Chip Foose, he's the king of two tones.
Maybe the car will be a part of the ''Overhaulin''' t.v. show.
You'll have to change the 18'' wheels after though.......

What about that off- pink color you posted, and use the field where the wood panel used to be and paint that gloss white, to give it a 50s vibe and then put the trim back or get new trim to seperate the fields?

How about flip-flop paint. It appears to change colors depending on what angle you look at it.

You could get purple with a red flip....

Pearl white with blue or purple flip,

etc....

well along that line I also strongly considered this one. ABB colors for me (anything but blue)

Rani, If I was going with the color on the GTO I would consider painting the roof some type of red metallic (maybe the Ruby Red Wildcat mentioned). That may sound odd, but notice how good the redline tires look with that color. I think the car would look really classy with that combo.

A Ruby Red body would also look good with an off white or cream roof. A cream or off white roof would also look nice with various shades of green or gold on the lower body.

Another thing to remember is the color on it now doesn't look like it did when the car was new. 40 years of weather will really bleach out a color. Remember, most of these colors were pretty when the car was new.

You can also get a more modern look with an original color by adding a little white pearl in the clearcoat. (Follow up with a couple of coats of straight clear.) The pearl will give the color some extra 'pop'.

Good luck with your decision. Picking colors is fun!
Dallas

Look thru the colors that interest you the most. Then go to the parts store a get one spray can of each of the colors you like. Paint a different part of the car a different color. Cover the other colors and stand back. The color you want will jump out a grab you.
Mike

I have a wagon and I am looking to get into some new paint soon. However the factory T3 brown color is not doing much for me. Its kinda hard to start putting stripes and high impact colors on a wagon without looking overdone.

So I was thinking a solution might be a modern color ....I see some new cars with some nice colors. I am looking to "jazz" up the car without going over board and making it something its not.

What is the average mopar opinion on using non -mopar and more modern colors on an old car?

Depends on what look you are going for, theres a color we use at my work that i always thought would be cool on a muscle car. This is prop tip yellow (safety yellow) kinda like an orangy yellow.

The other one was this really metal flaky silver gray we call DV window gray. These are used on Embraer aircraft. I couldent even begin to tell you what it equates to in PPG, Ditzler, DuPont orany other auto finish.

I'd say go to your local body supply house and peruse their color chip books. I have seen some really.pretty late model colors on various foreign cars too.

I'd say go to your local body supply house and peruse their color chip books..

If you bring a color swatch in, they can mix any color you want with today's paint manufacturers....

My brother used to match paint colors for OEM suppliers.

Just make sure you don't pick a color from a paint ship. I found mine when refueling a 1974 Cadillac back in the day with my first job in a Chevron station (Terra Cota Firemist)

1974 CADILLAC ELDORADO PAINT COLORS

COLOR CODE - COLOR (FORMULA)
11 - Cotillion White (2058)
13 - Georgian Silver Metallic (2518)
18 - Deauville Gray Metallic+ (2637)
19 - Sable Black (9300/9400)
24 - Antigua Blue Metallic (2523)
29 - Diplomat Blue Metallic (2526)
30 - Lido Green Metallic+ (2699)
34 - Mandarin Orange Metallic+ (2791)
38 - Pueblo Beige Metallic+ (2700)
44 - Jasper Green+ (2642)
49 - Pinehurst Green Metallic+ (2645)
54 - Promenade Gold Metallic+ (2442)
58 - Apollo Yellow+ (2651)
59 - Canyon Amber+ (2367)
63 - Conestoga Tan+ (2652)
69 - Chesterfield Brown Metallic+ (2656)
71 - Andes Copper Metallic+ (2657)
72 - Dynasty Red (2544)
92 - Regal Blue Firemist*+ (2660)
94 - Victorian Amber Firemist*+ (2661)
95 - Pharaoh Gold Firemist*+ (2662)
96 - Persian Lime Firemist*+ (2663)
98 - Terra Cotta Firemist*+ (2664)
99 - Cranberry Firemist*+ (2665)

Attachments

• 1974 terra cota firemist.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 1965 Valiant Effort copy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 186
B5 blue or metallic bronze with no woodgrain or trim. Make you feel like the.brady bunch

I went all around looking at reds, I ended up with r6 69 red, just as the tag says, It is a good deep red not too orange. In 69 the must have known what would look good on their cars

Attachments

• 10426619_10204581681840878_8247661173030844167_n (2).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 148
I totally agree with the advice to not pick your color off of a paint chip / sample. But if you do, at the minimum, at least try to find a car that has been painted that color, and then make your decision.

I picked my color by looking at cars for years. I wanted a 'period correct' color, but I was not limited to Chrysler paint. I had a couple favorites, but I ended up choosing Marina Blue. Lol, I know you don't like blue, Rani. But you get the idea. My shop suggested that I get the engine bay refinished first, then install my new engine. So the exterior is not painted yet, but here is my new color:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 159
How about flip-flop paint. It appears to change colors depending on what angle you look at it.

You could get purple with a red flip....

Pearl white with blue or purple flip,

etc....

Karl, have you ever priced that stuff?

The blue and purple on my Prowler is Chromalusion and was $270 a pint in 1998

View attachment image.jpg

Seen a Kuga, European Escape and it was only 1.5 million. Completely covered in diamonds and cyrstal

Have seen cars covered with lots on different stuff. Penny's, caps, emblems

The thread is non chrysler colors, but chrysler has a lot of cool colors out there. The Mauve GTO is nice but chrysler also had a mauve in the same era

Do it.
I'm a big fan fan of "Ming Jade" metallic green, optional color on 70 Olds 442's rare color and gorgeous! I haven't seen a single pic yet that does it any justice.

A beautiful modern color is "Atomic Orange" metallic, used on 09 Vette's, kind of common now though...

But I really like the factory "Poly Greens" metallic colors, Mopar and Ford.

What ever color you choose, I would consider adding a dark tint to all those windows! I think large vehicles with lots of big windows benefit the most (visually) from a dark tint job.

I think it is a pretty cool wagon. A couple people have asked about thr color of the interior. I may have missed your answer, but I agree this is an important variable when doing a color change.

Can't wait to see it painted!

Karl, have you ever priced that stuff?

The blue and purple on my Prowler is Chromalusion and was $270 a pint in 1998

View attachment 1714791728

No, I haven't priced it. I knew a body guy back in the 80's that did a custom job on a mid 70's Cutlass with white pearl with a purple flip. It was a show car with shaved door handles and buttons to open the doors remotely located in the grille.

Your Prowler is sweet!

I was just putting the option out there for her to be aware of.

-
Back