non stroked 360 builds with rhs heads

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
I've asked this before but no one seemed to have a non stroker 360 with rhs heads, maybe by now someone has some dyno numbers. Just looking to see what power is being made and what combo is being used.

Got a stock stroke 360 that made over 400 with mostly stock and swap meet parts but I used X heads. Sorry but I simply can't justify spending the RHS money and STILL having an iron head that won't let me bring compression up any more than what I'm at and still run pump gas.

Trbodrt interesting topic I'll subscribe to this one.

With better unported flow than stock or Edelbrocks, plus better cooling passages. Same coefficient of expansion as the block. Making similar power with less compression (heat is power) Seems like a no brainer. But the cost of a stroker being not that much more than a stock stroke rebuild, more and more are going stroker.

Hope to see some replies.

im running rhs heads on my lil red express (still under construction - close to done)

it's a 9 to 1 motor stock stroke, ld340 intake, 268 purple shaft, headers, demon sizzler rebuilt thermoquad and the rhs heads - i went with them because it was about the same price as rebuilding my j heads with close to the factory look.

i,m guessing about 320 - 340 horse - can't wait to post some et's when done

Got a stock stroke 360 that made over 400 with mostly stock and swap meet parts but I used X heads. Sorry but I simply can't justify spending the RHS money and STILL having an iron head that won't let me bring compression up any more than what I'm at and still run pump gas.

You mean 400 on motor, rather than at the wheels, right?

WTH? RHS head has a 61cc chamber and the X is what? 72?

Also outflows the X by a ways, hardened seats from the get-go, 8mm valves, etc.

Hell its worth it for the machined valve cover rail! hahahaha

Yes, it sucks that its iron when EVERYONE else gets aluminum.

The alum heads also buy a substantial weight savings off the front end where it is needed the most for better weight transfr.I'ts really too bad RHS doesnt offer thier heads in alum as well as cast. My thinking and sorry for not answering the question you asked,is that cast is old teck. You wont see many auto manufacturers using it simply for the weight issue. Pound for pound,alum vs cast I think your better off with an alum head.

However I could see an RHS headed 360 making 500 h.p.

You mean 400 on motor, rather than at the wheels, right?

WTH? RHS head has a 61cc chamber and the X is what? 72?

Also outflows the X by a ways, hardened seats from the get-go, 8mm valves, etc.

Hell its worth it for the machined valve cover rail! hahahaha

Yes, it sucks that its iron when EVERYONE else gets aluminum.

IMM said heads are 65-66 cc not 62...My heads were cut to be at 62.5

Oh, and modern combustion chamber shape too.

Good to know about the RHS heads being underestimated on the chamber size.

I'm glad I went with the EQ heads instead. haha.

I dropped a set of RHS heads on my 95 magnum 360, the engine was pulled from a truck, bottom end was totally stock from the factory with a good 100K miles, had the stock cam re-ground from Bullet cams, it was still on the small side, Crosswind intake, 650dp, summit headers, all stock valvetrain, The RHS heads flow way better then the LA heads in stock form, plus the closed chambers allow for higher compression & better combustion value, RHS heads flow around 246/175 stock, thats pretty damn good IMO, the price is right for 850.00 bucks for a new head that can easally flow 270/195 with some porting & the larger valves, I made around 290 at the wheels at 3200 race weight & ran 12.5s @ 105 consistantly shifting at 5100 (thats how small the cam was) 11" 2800 stall, 3.73 gears, LXguy runs 11.7s with his junkyard 360 magnum with the EQs, I raced a few mild SB A bodies at my local track & kicked there butt, Even ran a 446 Dart & we were dead even, his engine had more in it then mine. Check out this video of my run with a 69 Yenko 427 Camaro, he ran a 12.4 @ 107 too my 12.5 @ 105.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2kqNmMfheU"]‪001‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

well anyone want to take a guess, here is my combo, stock stroke 360 .040 over with stock crank, scat i beam rods, windage tray, kb107's zero decked, felpro .039 gaskets, rhs heads with 2.02 valves done by brian at imm with a 67 cc chamber bringing compression to about 10 to 1, harland sharp 1.6 rockers, comp cams xe275hl cam, duration @ 50, 231/237, lift 525/525, edelbrock rpm airgap intake and a 750 demon.

450-460 maybe a bit more depending on tune up.

I think the port window on the RHS head would be better for a 340-360 than the 408's that have been built. the extra lift from the 1.6 rockers will be a nice gain, IMO

It should run strong.

Swapping a set of 1.92/1.625 RHS for a set of 1.88/1.60 OEM style heads has the potential of lower your ET by 2-3 tenths which includes a slight (approx 5cc) compression increase. This is with no other changes besides tuning on a 400+ HP 360. Of course, traction and some other factors may sway those numbers a bit either way. I've been told that by a regular 360 as well as a Magnum 360 racer and I have fully expected the same if I did it to mine.

We'll be building/dyno testing a 360 with our RHS heads in about 3 weeks. I'll post the build and dyno sheets when I have them.
Cam will be a 275HL cam and 1.6 rockers. No porting, and compression will be 9.8:1. It's a true street driver, customer wants to be able to go anywhere with it.
I'm hoping for 425 but with a mild build it might not quite make it. I would run more compression in a hot street build but I was asked to keep it VERY streetable!

I would like to see more 360 rhs head dyno/strip results.

I found one in Youtube:

"360 Magnum RHS cylinder heads, 91 octane pump gas, 9.8:1 compression, flat tappet solid cam, 108LSA, Edelbrock air gap dual plane, 460 hp @ 6100 rpm, 470 ft/lbs @ 4500 rpm
Merkley Performance recipe for power"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPtjoC0V6SU"]Garth's 360 Magnum - June 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

The quality control and casting was the worst on these heads(the RHS). We stopped using them when RHS dropped them. They took a LOT of work to get them right. I used the last set I had in stock last december on a 408, It made 520 HP/TQ with a rather mild hydraulic roller cam. All done up they make the power, but they take more work than the EQ heads.

Did you go to the racers area and see the stickies under the topics of 12 second rides, 11 second rides. There basicly a set of threads that have everyone's combo and car with the times they run and what they use to get them there. The builds are wide and varried so you'll have to go through and read them all to maybe find what your looking for. They cover 14's on down I believe.

Yes I have read them. No 360+rhs combos there if I remember right. I try to read them again.

We'll be building/dyno testing a 360 with our RHS heads in about 3 weeks. I'll post the build and dyno sheets when I have them.
Cam will be a 275HL cam and 1.6 rockers. No porting, and compression will be 9.8:1. It's a true street driver, customer wants to be able to go anywhere with it.
I'm hoping for 425 but with a mild build it might not quite make it. I would run more compression in a hot street build but I was asked to keep it VERY streetable!

Why such a low goal? Especially if the heads flow 260-270ish? Bowlblended J heads with a 1.94" valve can produce that and more with that cam. J.Rob

Not RHS's but a similar head-EQ. I built this engine in 2011 and have replicated it a few times since. The weakest one made 475hp with an old LD4B? intake and a 650 carb and non-CNC bowl ported heads.

I think there's 20-25hp in the chamber alone when comparing an old J head to a Magnum variant. With any kind of cam at all it should make 450 hp+ with 460 ft/lbs with a stock stroke.

Everyone does the strokers but rarely use the right cylinder head on them. J.Rob

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1208phr_371ci_mopar_small_block/viewall.html

Yes i have read them. No 360+rhs combos there if i remember right. I try to read them again.

I could very well remember right. It was just a suggestion on a possible build. That is why I made it a sticky back then. It certainly seemed like a good idea. There's a few that updated it regularly. More people need to join it no matter the combo of parts.

If you can find something close to what your doing... Well at least it'll be a start.

-
Back