noob question about distrbutors

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Do I have to have a Vacuum advanced distributor to run VS carbs? I know this sounds really stupid and basic but I don't know:read2:

No, they are un-related. The VS carb, is depending on engine vacuum to open the secondaries on demand.

The vacuum advance, depends on engine vacuum to determine the advance of timing.

I never plug in the advance on my dissys, I could care less about fuel mileage.

Yeah, once you reach a certain level of camshaft, it becomes mute. I just sold my DC race distributor, that didn't even have a vacuum advance.

My new little 318 though, I have it hooked up, and like it's manners. :D

The vacuum advance should always be used on a street driven car. You are losing performance and throwing your fuel dollars away by unhooking the vacuum advance. The advance is not an emission only thing. In high vacuum situations some street cars need up to 50 degrees of advance, how will a mech. only dist. fill that need.
You have full mech. advance built into the dist. It doesn't go away because you have vacuum advance too.
Real race cars don't need vacuum advance. Street cars do.
That pro bullit dist. is totaly wrong for your application. Look up some info online to see what a vacuum advance actually does before you throw away your money.

The vacuum advance should always be used on a street driven car. You are losing performance and throwing your fuel dollars away by unhooking the vacuum advance. The advance is not an emission only thing. In high vacuum situations some street cars need up to 50 degrees of advance, how will a mech. only dist. fill that need.
You have full mech. advance built into the dist. It doesn't go away because you have vacuum advance too.
Real race cars don't need vacuum advance. Street cars do.
That pro bullit dist. is totaly wrong for your application. Look up some info online to see what a vacuum advance actually does before you throw away your money.

This is a high performace street car. Not a DD. I pretty warm 440 with a few bells and whistles. I bought a distributor this afternoon after i had gotten some feed back. It is a pro billet.

This is a high performace street car. Not a DD. I pretty warm 440 with a few bells and whistles. I bought a distributor this afternoon after i had gotten some feed back. It is a pro billet.

Sounds like my brotherin law's car. A 440 challenger with a large cam and double pumper carb and Mopar Performance ignition system with the advance pluged.. Ran like crap for 3 years and he couldn't get it to run right untill he hooked up the advance. Ran a like a differerant car then.
He seen all the performance dist. without a vacuum advance so it should be good for his car too, right? Wrong.

See if you swap that dist. for a vacuum advance unit, you can always plug it if you want to.
Good luck!

With the cam you have the mechanical advance dist will be best, at partial or wide open throttle you wouldnt have enuff vacuum to work with vacuum advance anyway, probably will have to recurve the distributor to your build.

-
Back