noob rifle choice.

-

hw612

The Mopar Martian.
Reaction score
i got my firearm safety stuff like 5 years back so i could get bird and deer licenses to go hunting with my cousins and uncles. i have always used someones spare gun, in the field or at the range. i want to get something small, light, semi, somthing that handles and recoils like a 22, but packs a bit more of a punch than a 22. and priced like a 22.
suggestions needed.
thanks
hec.

Finding a semi will be a challenge unless you want to spend a lot of money. Marlin and Ruger both offer several nice rifles in .223 which is a nice little round that you could hunt dear with.

What do you plan on doing with it ?? Hunting or just target practice? Here in Texas its not legal to hunt deer with rim fire "22 cal.". My advice would be a nice 243 Not a lot of recoil but big enough to take down a deer with ease. That's what I have for my 10 year old son and 14 year old daughter..For the money its hard to beat a New England Firearms Handi Rifle..

Target practice ? Stick with the 22.. Two words .. Cheap ammo. I would probably go with the Ruger 10-22..

If you are seriuos about target shooting get a Savage bolt action in .223 The recoil is very light and it will outshoot most any semiauto if you do your part. Ammo is very cheap for a centerfire and it may be legal for deer in your state plus the Savage is very reasonably priced. I've got a semi-auto in .223 that will shoot groups I can cover with a quarter at a 100 yards but it was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Some states the .243 is as low as you can go for deeer as SleeperScamp mentioned. It's also a great cartridge with low recoil.

For a new shooter, the bolt action is really the safe way to go.

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?litess has an adjustable (2-4 pound) trigger. Very light with not much recoil, this is what the wife used to shoot when we went rifle shooting. All of the Remingtons that I have fired have a very heavy trigger pull, as do some of the Ruger rifles that I have fired. If you get a Savage look for the accu trigger. For me it was far easier to learn how to fire a rifle with a lighter trigger pull.......

I think I like the 10/22 because of all the stocks and upgrades you can buy for them and its all cheap!
As far as taking down a deer, I have acces to a lot of stuff, real deal nazi 8mm mauser swastika and all lol. 30-30 winchester lever, and a 1916 mauser converted to .243. Considdering I have these avail to me I don't want to spend the money if I don't need to.
I think I could have a lot of fun with the 10/22.
Ill post pics of my final choice when I purchase it, as well as stuff I do to it.

-
Back