NOOB with a fuel issue (engine cuts out)

-

69CudaFan

Reaction score
Here is one for the masses...
69 Barracuda Notchback with a 340/4 speed combo.
Appears to be original carb

I will do my best to describe this issue in detail:
First time it happened I was driving the car for about 15 mins when I made a u-turn and the car just DIED at about 40 mph. Coasted and got off the road. Car did NOT want to start. After being stranded for about an hour, I propped the butterflys open and hit the pedal multiple times and it backfired out of the carb, but started. Drove 4 mins up the road and it dies again at the light. Had to park it for the night at a garage. Got in it the next morning, fired right up, drove it 15 mins to my house with no issue.

The next time it happened I drove about 15 mins again, and then it cut out at highway speed (in Cali on Interstate 15, scary place to have car issues) then the car fired again and then stuttered again, then caught again and finally cut out and coasted to the side of the road. Again would not start and stay running for any length of time and was towed home (thanks AAA). After it sat, started so I could turn it around in the garage.

Started with the fuel filter and replaced it. Only drove it for about 5 minutes and it was not really even warmed up by the time I got home.

Tank is newer tank, lines look good. Have not checked spark or fuel pump yet. I have the service manual here in my garage, but do not want to chase this issue by throwing parts at it. Suggestions?

How'd the fuel coming out of your fuel filter look like when you removed it?? And how new do you mean by newer gas tank???
Knock your fuel filter against something hard on the side it flows into, not out of. See if any rust comes out or dirt.

-
Back