Nor-Cal '73 Swinger

-
Meanwhile, Back at the ranch... We had the block torn down & were ready to get the new cam in. Bad440 brought a bucks down version of a degree wheel & I devised a Mcguyver version of a pointer (fancy white coat hanger had to be sacrificed) and we got to work installing & degree-ing that new cam in! We worked pretty well as a team and after checking, then double checking... we came in at 106 degrees just as the card specced out. not too shabby.
thats a copy of the diagram on fabo made of thick plastic.it worked ...

Looks like another awesome Abody. Nice work on your project. If your guys decide to have a Abody get together or cruise count me in.

Looks great,SAE and 440.Looks like you are close to lighting that puppy up!

Nice work Jeff. Looks like yours is just about there. Mine is getting close also so a late season cruise is a great idea.

Looks like another awesome Abody. Nice work on your project. If your guys decide to have a Abody get together or cruise count me in.
sounds good,hope you guys dont mind crusing with a multi colored beater.lol:burnout:

**** I wish mine was closer to getting done! All this talking about cruising around is bummin me out! Can I come cruising in my 500 hp cummins? It's pretty impressive to see it light up 35's like nothin. And if anybody breaks down I could tow you home. Ha! I really would like to put a little club together in the near future. Do some runs up the coast, half moon bay to Santa Cruz etc... Let me know if you guys would be interested. No bullshit membershit membership dues just guys/girls that like runnin and appreciating their mopes.

Started to work on some small stuff today. Soaked the new Shock Plates for my 8.25" rear end overnight in Oil Eater to get the grease off. Once I cleaned those up, I hit them with a wire wheel to knock the rust off. After the wire wheel treatment I sprayed them both down with a few coats of rust neutralizer. I'll let them sit overnight before I prime then paint them.

Attachments

• Shock Plates.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 552
  • Shock Plates Degreased 2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 565
  • Shock Plates Wire Wheeled.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 559
  • Shock Plated Neutralized.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 548
Also, since I'm on hold finishing up the head & cam swap until I source out the non-AC pulleys, I decided to do some masking & detailing of the block. I figured since most of the junk was out of the way & those bright, freshly pained 302 heads were bolted on, I better clean up what I can. So I masked everything off & coated with a couple of coats of primer & then a couple of coats of Chrysler Blue. It didn't come out too bad I don't think. Here's a shot of the original bay, followed by the initial clean up, then the head swap & then some shots of what it looks like after today's fun. Kinda cool to see the evolution.

Attachments

• Touched up block bay 2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 554
  • Touched up block close up.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 539
  • Touched up block 4.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 564
  • Touched up block 1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 533
  • Touched up block 2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 519
  • Intake & air cleaner back on.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 545
  • intake back on.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 562
  • 2011-04-08_16.17.35[1].jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 544
  • intakecarb1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 546
  • Engine bay4.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 533
Hung the Shock Plates up in my professional paint booth & got 'em primed & painted. After they dry overnight I'll take some better pics in the Sun. They came out nice. They look much better hanging in my garage than they did rotting away in that salvage yard.

Attachments

• Shock Plates Painted.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 538
  • Shock Plates Primed.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 556
While I fudged around in the garage my 6 year old son came out & we started fooling around. My son calls the Dart, "Daddy & Jacob's Car" so I took a couple shots of him in the car & then he wanted to take a couple of me. Thought I'd share a couple.

Attachments

• Jacob Cruisin 2 8_31_12.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 556
  • 2012-08-31_20.51.28.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 551
  • 2012-08-31_20.48.04.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 529
  • 2012-08-31_20.55.06.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 535
Nice to see the progress, wish I could drop on a better set of heads and a comp cam in mine but I'm chasing down the same dang gremlins I've had for awhile now.
An a body club here in the bay area would be great, I'd love it. Maybe I can recruit some people to help me with my cursed car haha

Nice to see the progress, wish I could drop on a better set of heads and a comp cam in mine but I'm chasing down the same dang gremlins I've had for awhile now.
An a body club here in the bay area would be great, I'd love it. Maybe I can recruit some people to help me with my cursed car haha

7d, I started a forum group here at FABO in hopes to get some local contacts working & possibly some events. Check it out at this link. It's open membership.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/group.php?groupid=28

Just read your whole build thread. Congrats your car has came a long ways. You have done tons to the car from where it was, I really like the floor, the exhaust setup, and the engine bay looks like another car. With the new cam and heads, I bet it will sound and run great.

Keep up the great work, you and Bad440!

Thanks, Aj

Just read your whole build thread. Congrats your car has came a long ways. You have done tons to the car from where it was, I really like the floor, the exhaust setup, and the engine bay looks like another car. With the new cam and heads, I bet it will sound and run great.

Keep up the great work, you and Bad440!

Thanks, Aj

Thanks AJ,

The engine bay looks better because of that old battery tray I got from you way back!!!! LOL!!

Here's a shot of the Shock Plates after cleaning, prepping & painting. Shame they get parked away until the rear end is ready. Today i'll finish putting the accessories back on the block after painting up all the brackets. i still need to cut down the alternator bushing to change to the non-AC setup. Since the heater core is leaky I'll delete the heater hoses and plug the manifold & water pump. Should be connecting with a fellow FABO member tomorrow to pick up the new pulleys. (I would like to thank both highflyer & 4spdragtop for help in finding the right pulleys) I picked up the tap for the emissions holes on the heads to close those up & I'll try to get the exhaust manifolds bolted up. With any luck I'll be breaking in the cam in the next day or so.

Attachments

• Shock Plates Finished.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 514
Looks good. I am not sure what paint you used but I have been using the high temp engine paint for my parts. It drys fast and hard. Big difference. IMO

Small things,make the difference,Sae.Like the family time pics,cool.

Met up with Highflyer today & picked up the pulleys to finish with the AC delete. Tapped & plugged the emissions holes on the new heads. It was a pain in backside since the heads were already mounted to the block. I started taking pictures but soon realized that this was a moment that wasn't too pleasant to remember. All that's left now is to reattach the exhaust manifolds, recurve the distributor and put the metering plate in the carb. Quick oil change, stab the distributor in & break in the cam.

I have to admit I'm a little gun shy on recurving the distributor by myself since & wont be able to burnish the weight slot correctly, so I'd have to do the old heat & pound routine which a few folks really recommend against. I cant seem to find anyone locally that still does recurving. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

No pic of any work, so I thought I'd give you this:
tumblr_m6dd82g37T1qeg1xyo1_500.jpg

Bad440 & I got back at it this weekend, trying to get the engine completed after the cam & head swap. I rebuilt the power steering box & sealed it all up. Put all the new pulleys on & brackets after the AC delete. Put the exhaust manifolds back on, (BOOOO!) & started adding the fluids. This is where we hit another snag. The clearance on the stock exhaust manifolds from '73 isn't adequate on the late 80's 302 casting heads. We had a water leak from the heads because we couldn't get the seal we needed. Mike & I called it a day, a little defeated but not out of the fight. I woke up today & after the 49er game I got to grinding away. Clearanced the manifolds and after several test fits, I finally bolted it all back up & filled the water. This time, no leaks! I also shot out to pick up my distributor from a guy I met locally with a Sun Distributor machine. He curved my distributor and says it should be all in by 2800 RPM. I'll find out as soon as I stab it back in. Here's some shots of the now re-assembled engine as it sits today waiting for the distributor & to finally break that cam in!

Oh. I also picked up some heat shrink tubing & used it on some of the hose clamps as another member shared they did in the tech archives. it came out real clean. I need to pick up just a bit more to get all the visible hose clamps done. It really is a nice touch.

Attachments

• Engine back together 7.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 663
  • Engine back together 5.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 489
  • Engine back together 4.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 494

Attachments

• Black hose clamps 2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 472
  • Black hose clamps 1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 468