NOS--should I??

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I road race my dart for fun-(Not professional but LOTS of mods)
The newer vettes are incredible!! There is not much that will keep up with them no matter how big a pocket book you have.(ferrrari's. nissans, porsches ect....
When i line up with one coming down a long straight it might be fun to have 150hp shot??? LOL
A 150Hp set-up is cheap but would it be easy to use once in awhile?
When i come out of a corner i don't have time to purge the system or anything.

Is 150hp basic set-up pretty user friendly? i would like to be as easy as nail it and flip the switch? (not all the time)
Going back to Road America in a month or so--(I get a kick out of people coming over and lookin, trying to peek underneath, afterall they think its to ugly to be FAST!)-Its Square!!!(which makes the Dart Cool)

I have been wondering the same thing. Don't know anyone with NOS to ask, but it would be nice once in a while. I haven't figured out how you even tune it in with out blowing something up

I have been wondering the same thing. Don't know anyone with NOS to ask, but it would be nice once in a while. I haven't figured out how you even tune it in with out blowing something up

On "Pinks" some guys have a little hand held switch they use only if they are loosing. I would not want the switch connected to my carb linkage.I just read they reccomend an extra fuel pump??/
I was hoping you could spend $400 bucks, bolt it on, fill your tank, mount a switch in the interior and thats it? ?? YER RACIN!

NOS is a complicated beast, I wish I could help, but if you're aiming for 150 hp, that's a huge shot of NOS and you might need to stick some specialized parts on so you... know, you dont turn your engine into a exploding baked potato.

NOS is a complicated beast, I wish I could help, but if you're aiming for 150 hp, that's a huge shot of NOS and you might need to stick some specialized parts on so you... know, you dont turn your engine into a exploding baked potato.

Don't want Taters!
Is a 100Hp shot easier with out knowing much???

Darts are my favorite-something about how mean they can look with the right stance.
"UGLY"-i dont think they are ugly-at all---next to a new vette though there is qiute a contrast.
Other people don't always get Darts?/

I will be on a road course later this summer. I plan on spraying 100 on the main straight to try and keep up with my kid's turbo Caliber. I have made hundreds of 1/4 mile passes with it and haven't had any problems.

DOOOO IT DOOOO IT SHERMAN TANK ENGINEE GO GO GO
mustang_sherman_tank_engine.JPG

WHUPS! wrong thread! Some guy asked if he should v8...... i told him sherman tank engine. Most folks would think im making a goofy joke........ NOOOOOOSIREEEE BOBBY BROWN JIMMY! BEEN DONEE AND ER' DID UN! 1100 CID vrRRRRrRRrrrRRRr Forget hemi, this things a beast!

PS: Need sleep, had too long day and it's only noon.

a 150 shot will be fine. you will need to pull about 2 degrees of timing, set it up on a wide open throttle switch as well as on a hand held button. (so both have to be pressed to spray) what pistons are in your motor? as forged would be nice but not required. if you buy a kit, you will also needto buy a bottle heater, bottle pressure guage, and a fuel pressure safety switch, and you should be set. a purge is not a requirement, its more of a need for drag raceing to get a hard hit off the start.

the biggest issue i see, is running out of nitrous halfway through the race. i was able to get about 5-6 passes out of a 10 pound bottle running a 150 shot at the drag strip. after that the bottle pressure would be so low that it was worthless. i ran all nitrousoutlet.com stuff and they have a message board where a ton of nitrous junkys hang out its worth a look to get some great info.

Timing retarder a must. on WOT 28-30 degrees total timing. A NOS cheater that you can change jetting is a good thing. Cold spark plugs a must. No long bursts (over 10 seconds) I would run a 25 pound bottle so the fun don't end too soon.

Thanks , forged pistons ,crank,HD rods and fasteners
I will check out the nitous site/
I am at 525 hp now and an exta 100-150 would be fun once in a while when a vette
or mustang try,s to get around me in a long straight.LMAO
I will leave them i a blaze of Primer-

How will colder plugs effect my performance when I am not on the bottle?

On a 150 shot, 1 heat range colder should be fine, Nitrous is to some very risky, but if you keep the tune right & plenty of fuel supply, your engine will be just fine, You really want to pull timing too prevent detination, along with higher octane & plug heat range & gap, these 3 work together as the majority of the tune, you can get away with pulling less timing as the octane goes up & the plugs get colder along with a richer tune, but to play it safe, pull 2* for every 50 hp shot, so a bare minimum of 5* from where your at now, don't just guess, if your good NA at 36*, run it at 30* for a 150, run 1 heat range colder & tighten the gap too .033" or .035" max, I like NGKs the best for there easy reading & the way they burn on the Nitrous, Just remember, the higher the Number on an NGK, the "colder" the heat range, so a -6 is hotter then a -8, Make sure the fuel system can keep up with the demand, It wouldn't hurt running a mix or 50/50 of 93/110.

On a 150, your on the raggid edge of needing a dedicated line for the plate, If you know your pump will supply the total needs of both engine/N2o i'd run 2 regulators from the main line, 1 for the engine @ a set pressure, the other for the plate, then set the pressure flowing the fuel through the plate in a bucket.

Your at 525 HP NA, so you add 150, that 675 HP, You'll need a single pump that will comfortably supply enough fuel for 750-800 HP, I know a holley black is close too this, It'll free flow a gallon through a 3/8" line in 22 seconds.

Forgot to add, WOT switch on your linkage is the best set-up, you don't want to be pushing a button if you ever choose 2 hit the button at low throttle or even 1/2 throttle, you risk damage not being at WOT when the N2o starts flowing.

I guess you could go buy all this NOS stuff, or just get a viper and go kick some corvette ***.....LOL!

I understand you wanting to keep up with the newer Vettes and I know they are fast. But I think most road course drivers/instructors would encourage you to learn to drive what you have faster out of the corners rather than adding horsepower.

Pretty sure NOS is not something they like to see on a road course car regardless if it's racing or open track day.

All that being said, can't say that I have never thought about it myself.

-
Back