NOT a Ford guy but!!!!

-
Lots of the 460 truck motors had external oil coolers. They're actually pretty nice units, with AN fittings and all.

X2 on dano's advice to go to a carb setup. I stuck with EFI on my 521 stroker build, and the heads/intake were definitely the bottleneck in the engine's breathing (not to mention the frustration and cost of tuning it).

Nice truck by the way. It makes me miss my '70 F100.

Scott

I bet that makes buckets of torque though! I guess the EFI heads are good for a street to tow application due to the raised ports, they flow really well ported, they just need a good intake. Some have modified the RPM air-gap to work with them. It required welding and porting though.

Thanks for all of the info, I was out for the 4th with the family so i did not get a chance to read and reply, once again thanks a bunch!!!!, The truck is one of those projects that no matter how long or much it needs to be done. it's a family thing!

AJ71DUSTER

PM me all you want, I'll help a brother out!

The EFI motors have different heads that the carb ones. The intake ports are smaller, round and raised, same with the exhaust accept they are more square, so the only manifolds and intake that will work are the EFI ones. That said, you can take the EFI intake, which is a dual plane and on par with a Performer intake, plug the injector bungs and make/buy an adapter to put a carb on it and use EFI manifolds or see if some of the headers available will fit. Your 89 motor will have a D9 (1979) block, it is external balance. These blocks have deeper skirts and are good for stokers up to 545cid. No 460 came with a roller cam. EFI valve covers are different too.

A good site to look at and do a ton of reading:

www.460ford.com

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

I just got my 460 set in and should be firing it this weekend. A my mild build will net 425hp and about 500ft/lbs with ported factory Iron heads.
Thanks for this great info I will check out these sites:prayer:

Lots of the 460 truck motors had external oil coolers. They're actually pretty nice units, with AN fittings and all.

X2 on dano's advice to go to a carb setup. I stuck with EFI on my 521 stroker build, and the heads/intake were definitely the bottleneck in the engine's breathing (not to mention the frustration and cost of tuning it).

Nice truck by the way. It makes me miss my '70 F100.

Scott
When I first saw the oil cooler. I thought its was a trans cooler,until I followed the lines back to the block to the oil fliter adapter.To be honest I thought could I put this on my 408??. thanks for the comment on the truck:toothy8:..

-
Back