Not a good day

-

74swinger360

Reaction score
So today i put my new radiator in, changed the oil and put in some royal purple, changed the filter, tinkered with the timing. After all that i went to go do a big smokey burnout and realized that only one tire was spinning. When i bought the care i was told it had a sure grip in it. Surely this doesnt have one?? does it?? Could i have broke it? can anyone help me on this. I want to possibly get one done now.:mumum:

So today i put my new radiator in, changed the oil and put in some royal purple, changed the filter, tinkered with the timing. After all that i went to go do a big smokey burnout and realized that only one tire was spinning. When i bought the care i was told it had a sure grip in it. Surely this doesnt have one?? does it?? Could i have broke it? can anyone help me on this. I want to possibly get one done now.:mumum:

What rear is in it? Might be a worn Sg or maybe it never had one. Jack car up , put it in neutral, turn one tire and watch the other side to se if it turns the same way or opposite.

Yes the sure grip could be broke, the cones (at least one side) could be worn out and hanging up or the clutch plates could be smoked. To be absolutely sure of what you've got you need to remove the pumpkin, if it's an 8 3/4", which at first requires the removal of the axles and drive shaft. The clutch type is rebuildable and to some extent so is the cone type and if it turns out that it's actually an open differential and you were lied to then swap your gears to a housing thats got sure grip. If it's an 8 1/4" remove the cover plate and have a look see.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/6.html

Yes the sure grip could be broke, the cones (at least one side) could be worn out and hanging up or the clutch plates could be smoked. To be absolutely sure of what you've got you need to remove the pumpkin which at first requires the removal of the axles and drive shaft. The clutch type is rebuildable and to some extent so is the cone type and if it turns out that it's actually an open differential and you were lied to then swap your gears to a housing thats got sure grip.

I'm thinking he may have a 8 1/4 seeing that it is a 74?

You're to fast SG, I realized my mistake and was correcting it when you jumped me. No harm/no foul.:-D:-D:-D

No its an 8 3/4. If it was broke would i still be squeeking the tires when i shift? I will get some pics and post them tomorrow. Maybe you can help me a little from the outside of it until i have to take it apart.

No its an 8 3/4. If it was broke would i still be squeeking the tires when i shift? I will get some pics and post them tomorrow. Maybe you can help me a little from the outside of it until i have to take it apart.

If one side or the other was a little worn and therefore slipping it might not slip when shifting but when you plant her she will. I had an 8 3/4" that working fine for smoking BF bananskins but when I mounted the sticky tires the passenger side clutch plates would slip. Nothing a little bit of money couldn't fix. First do like SG suggests and lift both rear tires off the ground.

Yes, chirping the tires when the trans shifts has nothing to do with the condition of the SG.

Thanks for the replies guys. Im going to put it up on the jack stands this weekend. I am going to do the TVS system next year on my car so if its bad i might just wait and put some 3.91 in it :toothy10:. I will let you know what i find.

-
Back