Not a good mopar day

-
I wonder if the head bolts are bottoming out? The block looks to have been milled. The head bolts bottoming out could certainly cause that. Also, trash or even a small bit of water or other liquid in the bottom of the bolt hole could even cause it when the bolts are torqued down. I've actually not seen that before. I agree after seeing the picture. I wouldn't use it, unless I had no other alternative.

I wonder if the head bolts are bottoming out? The block looks to have been milled. The head bolts bottoming out could certainly cause that. Also, trash or even a small bit of water or other liquid in the bottom of the bolt hole could even cause it when the bolts are torqued down. I've actually not seen that before. I agree after seeing the picture. I wouldn't use it, unless I had no other alternative.

I think the core pattern for that block at least has some holes that break through the deck. It could be all of them too. The OP does need to verify he isn’t bottoming a bolt.

Il post some pics when im done whid the repair will take some time other more important things to do first

I think the core pattern for that block at least has some holes that break through the deck. It could be all of them too. The OP does need to verify he isn’t bottoming a bolt.
I've seen both blind holes and open holes in small blocks....and had people argue with me. But I've seen it. I've also torn down more engines than a lot of people have ever even seen. I was the tear down rat for a mom and pop machine shop when I was a junior in high school through my early 20s. I tore down a BOATLOAD of engines. It was a LOT of fun though.

had you thought about a blind male/female threaded insert and loctite it into the block? that would seal the bolt hole from the water jacket.
neil.
Boy that's a lot of work drillin and tappin all those head bolt holes for inserts in a cracked block. I'd add flat washers and put sealant on the bolts and run it as it before I did "ALL THAT".

Boy that's a lot of work drillin and tappin all those head bolt holes for inserts in a cracked block. I'd add flat washers and put sealant on the bolts and run it as it before I did "ALL THAT".
i thought there were only a couple like it so the inserts would be more of a permanent repair, if there's lots and another block's not an option then yes i'd go with washers and sealer too. you've got probably better than a 50/50 chance it'll be fine which i'd take.
neil.

-
Back