not a happy day

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
found a little bit of water in my oil and was wondering if that always means head gasket or cracked head or could it be intake leaking there is no oil in water so whats my next step

Oil is the higher psi when the engine is running so oil should go in water. Water goes in oil only at shut down. Very small amount of water in dipstick tube may be only condensation.

I'm no expert, just thinking out loud here, could it be a result of the extreme changes is weather/temp we've just had?

I'm no expert, just thinking out loud here, could it be a result of the extreme changes is weather/temp we've just had?

And that would be condensation,as posted, and as posted if your oil don't look like a milkshake, it's most likely to be condensation.

Change the oil and pressure test the cooling system. You might want to change oil and filter twice to be sure you have all the water out then preesurize the cooling system and see what you get. Might be intake gasket, timing chain cover gasket but look for the easy things first.

You need to drive more than short trips. You're not getting the oil up to operating temp long enough to burn all the moisture and contaminants out of it. That's my guess.

You need to drive more than short trips. You're not getting the oil up to operating temp long enough to burn all the moisture and contaminants out of it. That's my guess.
I am with Robert.....short trips are hard on oil and exhaust systems. When I lived 4 miles from work I was putting an exhaust system on my car pretty much after every winter.....

Pull your dip out wipe it off pop it back in if all you see is oil on the stick your good to go,its just condensation.What stat do you have 160 170,190 is what you should have heat is horse power.

If you decide you do have a small leak, I'd be checking the timing cover first, they have a habit of corroding. Usually not behind the water pump but right against where the cover meets the block. Assuming you have a small block that is.

-
Back