not a mopar but a vintage car !!! need your advice guys !

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
i have a 1989 volvo 760 turbo sedans with a 2.3..and i have a problem with my iddle , when i start it , it goes crazy between 1000 to 2000 rpm and after few seconds it returns normal , it did that for the last 6 months but yesterday i went out and ..guess what it didnt want to stop after 10 minutes ! moved for few seconds but was reving by itself from 1 to 2000 rpm was like driving a supercharged bick block ! , but i parked right away felt that it was really bad for the kickdown....transmission and motor ..dont want to break something .. so every garage tells me that they dont have a scanner to read the 1989 volvos.....theres some odb1 and obd2 things that i dont know well so what can i do now change all the little parts that i think it is ?? oxygen sensor , isc valve , mass air flow sensor etc... selling the car to my bestfriend and its completly non driveable ..

have any idea ?

I would start with inspecting the coolant temp sensor. Make sure the coolant is full too. If that signal is out of range it affects the idle speed, mixture and possibly the timing. Doubt it is the mass airflow and the oxegen sensor is a fine tuner not one of the major inputs.

Personally I'd...................

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2uAibY-dOs"]Volvo PV Brazuca Racing test and tune - YouTube[/ame]

Ya, it sucks to diagnose a pre 96 car. In 96 domestic and imports all went to OBD 2. Prior to that they were all doing there own thing. Even My $1200 Matco scan tool will only do domestic OBD1 and of course all OBD2. I would think Volvo dealer should be able to scan it. Im not familiar with volvo but I would start with whatever type of air idle control is used. Doubt its mass air and sure its not an O2. I had a temp sensor bad on an OBD1 Infinity. It didnt idle high but ran sooo rich it smoked black and soaked the plugs in just a few miles. I wouldnt throw parts at it. Most sensors can all be checked with a multimeter. You'll just need to check that there within there operating range. Got a book for it?

Ya, it sucks to diagnose a pre 96 car. In 96 domestic and imports all went to OBD 2. Prior to that they were all doing there own thing. Even My $1200 Matco scan tool will only do domestic OBD1 and of course all OBD2. I would think Volvo dealer should be able to scan it. Im not familiar with volvo but I would start with whatever type of air idle control is used. Doubt its mass air and sure its not an O2. I had a temp sensor bad on an OBD1 Infinity. It didnt idle high but ran sooo rich it smoked black and soaked the plugs in just a few miles. I wouldnt throw parts at it. Most sensors can all be checked with a multimeter. You'll just need to check that there within there operating range. Got a book for it?

^This and only a hand full of things could cause high idle. As noted above sensors can, but have you checked for vacuum leaks? Turbo cars have extra intake connections especially if it has an inter-cooler.

Does it have a throttle position sensor? I would start with that. They are prone to wearing out over time.

thx a lot guys ...i dont know nothing about efi cars even worst if its turbo and intercooled , my grand-father gave it to me ! it as 60 000 miles and its a 24 yrs old car ! so thats why i call it a vintage car ..kinda !

-
Back