not a Mopar, but I'm proud of it

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Did this '57 BelAir convertible for gentleman who live is Watkins Glen, a retired school teacher who's had the car for about 15 years. Complete frame off, nothing left untouched except the upholstery which was done when he bought it. Colors are correct for the car. (Except for the top boot. Still haven't been able to convince him to buy the correct red one for it.) The 283 block isn't original, but is date coded for the piece. Powerglide backing it up. Paint was done in PPG's single stage Concept color, then with the color and Concept clear mixed 1:1 and then straight clear.
The 283 had to be bored .030 for clean up, using all Clevite bearings and moly rings for the overhaul. Everything blueprinted. A slightly larger than stock Clevite cam was used, the date coded heads were gasket matched and hardened seats were used with a three angle cut. Bronze guides were used with new valves and springs matched to with just a couple of ounces of pressure.
It was restored for his 15 year old grandson to inherit, so everything was done with an eye towards longevity. All rubber was replaced with urethane, SS brake and fuel lines replace the mild steel.
The pics were taken before the alignment and I didn' want the hubcaps to get in the way of the heads.

'57 283.jpg

'57 Lt frt.jpg

'57 rt rr.jpg

'57 interior2.jpg

restored trunk.jpg

Beautiful! Nice color combo...I've always liked the 57...one of my fathers friends (Charlie) had one while I was growing up. (hardtop belair, 400 small block all beefed up, 4 speed. aerodynamics of a shoebox.

Dad, myself and Charlie were out driving it one day...back roads in Idaho...they pulled over and asked me if I'd like to drive it..16 years old been driving for about 1-2 years...HELL YEAH!

I get in..they start talking to me about how its a close ratio..don't shift it into 4th from first...blaa blaa...

I nail it...burn out, smokes'um, gets tractions and halls a$$..I get up to about a 100 back off...both of their eyes are wide open... My dad ask me..."hooow did you learn to shift like that? I don't know, dad?
Funny!? all I could think of is the old ferd truck dad had that I learn to drive in with granny gears... you could start from a dead stop in 4th gear...long shift throw..

The looks on their faces was priceless....

thanks for the pictures...that was a nice memory for me....Sorry if I hijacked.

Again nice 57!

Aloha!

The kid won't want that POS Chevy so let him know that i have a real nice 74 Duster that i would trade straight across for that junk. O.K. I'll give $500 boot. Let me know........Nice job.....and nice car. Offer still stands. Hell. i'll put a 440 in it if he wants.........a dual quad 440.....let him know......I'll even deliver......to where. .......who cares.....tell me where.
Small Block

Definately a nice job!!!:cheers:
C

Not a mopar but still pretty nice. Anybody should be pretty happy to come into that for free. Hope the young man appreciates it and takes care of it the way it should be!

All good, nice car. This is why they make chevys and fords..............so you can practice on them befor you buy a Mopar.

The kid won't want that POS Chevy so let him know that i have a real nice 74 Duster that i would trade straight across for that junk. O.K. I'll give $500 boot. Let me know........Nice job.....and nice car. Offer still stands. Hell. i'll put a 440 in it if he wants.........a dual quad 440.....let him know......I'll even deliver......to where. .......who cares.....tell me where.
Small Block
You got it wrong, he wouldn't want a Duster either. All you really need is a civic with a fart pipe and a clothes hanger on the back with a NOS bottle showing in the back window. Hell he may even throw you a few bucks on that trade.

Thanks, guys.

Actually this kid is different than the rest of his group. The fart can mufflers and erector set spoilers aren't his thing.
He spent the winter pestering his grandfather to go out once a week and fire it off, let it get to operating temp, roll it a bit to keep the brakes from freezing and the tranny spinning. If it got dirty in the garage he was out with the Final Inspection and the terry cloth dusting it. The kid's been drilled on it, especially considering he spent a lot of time around it when it was coming together and seeing the hours spent. I think it's in good hands, especially since he knows who to bring it to if it needs something.

-
Back