NOT a Nova...

-

AlaskaJeff

Reaction score
The ones that usually say "Hey nice Nova" are supposed knowledgeable car guys...:realcrazy:
Hat.jpg
IMG_4308.jpg

Coming up on 4 years now. I drove 250 mi north to small town on Canadian boarder to look and buy a '69 GTX. A Chevy guy with multiple Chevy cars and the one Plymouth he bought 15+ years ago and did virtually nothing with. (Good!) He kept pushing a 71 Nova with a new (you guessed it) 350 auto trans. The engine was converted to EFI. And sounded healthy. He wanted same $20k price. Highlighting how well it pops off and runs. Saying the Plymouth takes like 15 sec of cranking to for it to start. I said. "Its because you have a manual choke Holley 750 wired open." I'm surprised it starts that well cold." All the time he spent on talking Nova. And me doing my Joe Friday impersonation saying. "Just the facts about the Plymouth sir." While in my head? "ITS JUST A FREAKING 350 AUTO NOVA! And a '71 to boot!" "You are trying to compare to a '69 440 GTX 4-speed?"

I drove that GTX the 250 mi home. Ran like a champ. (Poor chase truck trying to keep up. Lol) Below is a short walk around vid of car on that day. (I wonder if he is still trying to push that Nova? Lol.)

P.S. "Nice Duster. Love the Blue"

Last edited:
Coming up on 4 years now. I drove 250 mi north to small town on Canadian boarder to look and buy a '69 GTX. A Chevy guy with multiple Chevy cars and the one Plymouth he bought 15+ years ago and did virtually nothing with. (Good!) He kept pushing a 71 Nova with a new (you guessed it) 350 auto trans. The engine was converted to EFI. And sounded healthy. He wanted same $20k price. Highlighting how well it pops off and runs. Saying the Plymouth takes like 15 sec of cranking to for it to start. I said. "Its because you have a manual choke Holley 750 wired open." I'm surprised it starts that well cold. All the time he spent on talking Nova. And me doing my Joe Friday impersonation saying. "Just the facts about the Plymouth sir." While in my head? "ITS JUST A FREAKING 350 AUTO NOVA! And a '71 to boot!" "You are trying to compare to a '69 440 GTX 4-speed?"

I drove that GTX the 250 mi home. Ran like a champ. (Poor chase truck trying to keep up. Lol) Below is a short walk around vid of car on that day. (I wonder if he is still trying to push that Nova? Lol.)

That car looks great!

That car looks great!
Thanks. I thought it was a no brainer. It's not numbers matching. (But period correct parts/components.) So will never be the $60k+ type car. But perfect for my wants/needs. Can upgrade with no real sin if so choose.

^^One of my favorite color combos.
Most Chevy guys are people that I never really fully understand. Try as I do.
I think Mopar body lines are so fine they can support even crazy color combos. Ever seen a Chevy Plum crazy purple? On a Chevelle it looks like sadness. But a Cuda? BADDASS

^^^Plum purple is a mopar color and to me, just likes right on them, nothing else.
But I admit I am old and may never get into the resto mod thing on these 60s car!

I bought a real nice running 69 Coronet 440 six pack dana rear end car off a guy "who wanted to buy a Nova" He made a HUGE mistake!!! Once the carbs were adjusted properly that freakin car SCREAMED!!!

Coming up on 4 years now. I drove 250 mi north to small town on Canadian boarder to look and buy a '69 GTX. A Chevy guy with multiple Chevy cars and the one Plymouth he bought 15+ years ago and did virtually nothing with. (Good!) He kept pushing a 71 Nova with a new (you guessed it) 350 auto trans. The engine was converted to EFI. And sounded healthy. He wanted same $20k price. Highlighting how well it pops off and runs. Saying the Plymouth takes like 15 sec of cranking to for it to start. I said. "Its because you have a manual choke Holley 750 wired open." I'm surprised it starts that well cold." All the time he spent on talking Nova. And me doing my Joe Friday impersonation saying. "Just the facts about the Plymouth sir." While in my head? "ITS JUST A FREAKING 350 AUTO NOVA! And a '71 to boot!" "You are trying to compare to a '69 440 GTX 4-speed?"

Ok wow just wow! Beautiful car, the plate looks oddly familiar? Great find!

Ok wow just wow! Beautiful car, the plate looks oddly familiar? Great find!
Actually you have any info from past? Would be interested. I only know past 25 years. I guess it came from Bemidji Minnesota. The guy has sence past years ago. The car is not close to any numbers matching. D32 code auto trans. Has 4-speed. With Dana 3.54:1 rear. Interior not close.

Someone long ago made this from at least 2 GTX and 1 Sport Satellite that I can see? VIN, engine, trunk stamp all different. Radiator support that I can see suggests same as VIN and tag. Which what title displays. So it is what it is today.

Ideal candidate for a performance enhanced build. But now have to talk myself into spending 10s of thousands and pull a very good running 440? A little from stock. But not much. (Cam, intake, carb. Maybe a little head work)

I've never pulled a good engine before. And for the record? I am capable of screwing up something that didn't need fixing. Lol.

When I had my 65 Valiant, I worked at a local large family run tire chain as their alignment guy. Parked it out back every day. One day this old guy comes in askin whose Nova that is in the parking lot. The guy in the stall next to me smiled at me and then told the guy there was no Nova out there. He said yeah that one and pointed to my car. I said no, that's a Plymouth Valiant. He proceeded to tell me it was an early Nova and I just walked off.

When I had my 65 Valiant, I worked at a local large family run tire chain as their alignment guy. Parked it out back every day. One day this old guy comes in askin whose Nova that is in the parking lot. The guy in the stall next to me smiled at me and then told the guy there was no Nova out there. He said yeah that one and pointed to my car. I said no, that's a Plymouth Valiant. He proceeded to tell me it was an early Nova and I just walked off.
Driving my GTX around. The #1 discussion I have is explaining the difference between GTX and GTO. which I do happily. At least the topic is on same era?

The ones that usually say "Hey nice Nova" are supposed knowledgeable car guys...:realcrazy:
View attachment 1715886290 View attachment 1715886291
My 71 cloned Duster hasn't yet been out of the driveway, and I've lost track of how many times it's been referred to as a Nova. It amazes me.
I can only figure that I was in some delusionary state back in the 70's and 80's when I thought at least most people knew the difference between a Nova and a Duster! It's obvious to me!
Hey, I don't know what (if any), comments I'll get when I actually get it on the road, but I understand that they could be something I'll have to be considerate of.
Yours looks great. The backdrop is fantastic.

Last edited:
Considering the Duster was a direct attempt to steal Nive sale and to the untrained eye (or moron Chevy wanna be car guy) they look the same. I can stretch the “They look similar” to some people since it was made to compete with the Nova.

If some (Moron) guy comes up close to it and starts with the “Nice Nova” comment, I ask where he went to school, the whole you look familiar thing and such….
I normally say something like, “You remind me of a dude that got kicked out of school from the special education classes. Did you have read compression problems in school?”

What ever there reply is, I walk them to the car and politely say, the manufacturer’s badging is here and the car model name is here and the obvious differences are this and that while smiling and pointing.

Kill’em with kindness and with a side dish of ridicule on a polite level. If there slightly arrogant, I’ll end the conversation with,
“Now you’ve been properly schooled. No worries.”

Considering the Duster was a direct attempt to steal Nive sale and to the untrained eye (or moron Chevy wanna be car guy) they look the same. I can stretch the “They look similar” to some people since it was made to compete with the Nova.

If some (Moron) guy comes up close to it and starts with the “Nice Nova” comment, I ask where he went to school, the whole you look familiar thing and such….
I normally say something like, “You remind me of a dude that got kicked out of school from the special education classes. Did you have read compression problems in school?”

What ever there reply is, I walk them to the car and politely say, the manufacturer’s badging is here and the car model name is here and the obvious differences are this and that while smiling and pointing.

Kill’em with kindness and with a side dish of ridicule on a polite level. If there slightly arrogant, I’ll end the conversation with,
“Now you’ve been properly schooled. No worries.”

Reading comprehension maybe? :lol:

The funniest thing to me is that I have MOPAR in big bold letters on the windshield and they STILL don't know what it is or misidentify the car all together.
Tin sign.jpg

-
Back