Not a small block guy

-

mycuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if Torker 340 intake operable on stock 318 with moderate cam & headers?
Also what CFM carb recommended for street use with 3:91 sure grip for lowend power ?

Thanks

A torker is "not a torker." They are a fairly high RPM manifold, and not a good choice for a mild engine especially a 318. Ed "Performer" is one decent choice. So is the factory 340/360, if you don't mind the weight

Also what CFM carb recommended for street use with 3:91 sure grip for lowend power ?

Thanks

The carb has not got too much to to with lowend power unless the primaries are very much too big.
But if your engine has a small cam it will make good torque in the lowend. The cam decides where the engine will make the "power".
So if you are looking to enhance the lowend, a spreadbore should be considered. It's hard to beat an oem SB-Thermoquad and matching manifold.
But if that's not to your liking, a very small Holley/holley type,could work. Something like 500cfm. But I would put it on a small port intake.
But if you have a torquey teener, you would hardly need a 3.91. Could be fun though with an automatic. Not so much with a low-rpm cam and a 4 speed. S'a lotta shifting.

Yeah it'll "work" but there are a LOT better intakes out there. To coin crackedback's phrase, I'd use it for a doorstop.

Thanks guys.
Someone did mention a Weiand intake with small matching ports.
Can't recall name.

Sounds like a plan. Flip a little nitrous on it,blow it up and put the big block in it.Lol

I'll answer your question based on personal experience. I ran the older style Torker on my 318 with a 600 Holley DP, 218 @ .050 duration/.490 HFT cam, 3.91 gears and a 2200 stall/904 trans. I had no problem what so ever with bottom end torque. That 318 flat got after it from idle on up to 6K :burnout: I did bowl port my 318 heads and open up the intake runners to 360 size to eliminate any port mismatch. As mentioned, there are better intakes out there, but I did a budget build and have had good luck with the Torker in other applications.

I think the Weiand you are talkin about is the Action Plus.

I'll answer your question based on personal experience. I ran the older style Torker on my 318 with a 600 Holley DP, 218 @ .050 duration/.490 HFT cam, 3.91 gears and a 2200 stall/904 trans. I had no problem what so ever with bottom end torque. That 318 flat got after it from idle on up to 6K :burnout: I did bowl port my 318 heads and open up the intake runners to 360 size to eliminate any port mismatch. As mentioned, there are better intakes out there, but I did a budget build and have had good luck with the Torker in other applications.

I did a similar build myself with a 318 that used a 216/228-.454/.480-112 Crane cam, 1.88-1.60-360 heads and a 600 DP Holley. A port matching wasn't done since the intake runners were smaller than the head ports.
A 4spd & 4.10's moved the car very well down the strip. Still a low compression engine that used 87 octane.

The Weiand dual plane is a better choice. The factory iron is also good.
Run a 600 or a small primary TQ on the respected intakes.
Do not use a 500cfm carb.

For a street driven car the manners of a dual plane are superior and you will have better potential for fuel economy and smoother idle.

a small Holley

Yeah it'll "work" but there are a LOT better intakes out there.

Thanks guys.

Flip a little nitrous on it,blow it up and put the big block in it.Lol

I'll answer your question based on personal experience. I ran the older style Torker on my 318 with a 600 Holley DP, 218 @ .050 duration/.490 HFT cam, 3.91 gears and a 2200 stall/904 trans. I had no problem what so ever with bottom end torque. That 318 flat got after it from idle on up to 6K :burnout: .

/\ /\ /\

this about sums up my 2 cents.

I'd have a performer intake on that engine for an intake if it were mine with a 600 square bore on top. The 150 shot of spray.

Unless you change out the heads, you need to stick with a small port intake that will match up with the 318's intake ports. For a mild daily driver 318 a dual plane intake is definitely the way to go. I liked the Edelbrock SP2P myself and is an excellent manifold for a street driven car that spends most of its time cruising around in the 2-3000 rpm range. A step up in performance from the SP2P would be the Edelbrock LD4B which has a bit bigger primary runners. They are both out of production, but if you can find one, I think that they would be excellent choices for you combination.

Does anyone cruise around outside of the 2-3,000 rpm range?

There's some food for thought....

-
Back