not an a-body but need help please

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
bought a 70 d100 stepside this week and all the lights work but the pass brake light. cant find where it feeds to the wiring harness. tried wiring from the driver side to the pass side but if i try to use the pass signal with the brake light on the blinker quits. any help greatly appreciated. tried some truck sites but cant find a place comparible to the folks here. thanks:violent2:

turn signal switch? cant find much info and the diagrahm is a little hard to read

When you troubleshoot stuff like this, you need to find a place to "divide" the problem, I.E. is it "this half" or "this other half."

One place in this case is to dig out the connector at the steering column. Here's how this works

Your brake light switch does NOT feed the lamps, but rather goes THROUGH the TS switch, so that when you, say, turn left, the TS switch disconnects the LEFT brake lamp, and hooks it up to the flasher.

So probe the connector.

Take a test lamp, ground the clip, and make sure "things" work:

Probe the connector at the steering column, check out the LEFT one first, because you think it works

Your tail/ turn/ stop lamps are:
brown is tail
yellow is left turn/ stop
green is right turn stop

So probe the connector and find a yellow wire (or yellow with tracer) and probe your lamp in there

Hit the brakes and make sure you get a light. Turn on the key, select left turn, and make sure the lamp flashes

Now you know that much works, probe the RIGHT side, which is the green wire.

Once again, hitting the brake should light the lamp, and making a right turn should flash the lamp

If you don't get a brake light, you probably have a bad signal switch If you get a brake light but no flash, you MAY have a shakey flasher, a shorted bulb, or bad ground at the socket in the rear. THAT IS BECAUSE many flashers will not flash without a "proper" load. That is, in other words, if you took a perfectly working system and simply pulled out either a front or rear lamp, it MIGHT stop flashing on that side.

Here's at least one diagram:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24

you need a test light to test each circuit. sounds like a bad ground. common problem in a pickup. a mopar car would basically have the same design system.(exept for the routing) If you can find a diagram for a valiant or coronet etc. would help. Learn to use the test light. there are several books on wiring trouble shooting.

spent all evening under it with a test light couldnt find anything. found the sweptline site and sounds like the turn signal switch is bad. 67 dart i will try checking at the connector tommorow and thanks to you both for the help.

thanks folks. will try to post a pic tommorow for ya. didnt have time to check out the lights today traded the wifes car got a chryster town and country now i have all mopars yay. also the truck has a major oil leak. i think rear main. how much trouble to replace and should i do oil pump at same time just because>?thanks

looks like its the ts switch. anyone know where to get one. the parts house list one for 21.99 but dont i need the part with all the wires? this is just a plastic block with a couple contacts.

got registered at sweptline.org and found alot of great info. still trying to find out about the turn signal repair kit though? thanks again as soon as the weather warms up ill be back on the valiant. got a new gas tank and sender from a member here and gonna try the front end rebuild. the trucks gonna be my beater for around town and such

got the trun signal cam and that fixed my brake lights but while testing it while i had the switch out of the column i managed to ground the one of the turn signal switch wires off on the column now my brake lights work but my right rear turn signal and my front indicator on the dash and front right signalk are out. ant thoughts on where to start looking thanks. ive poted this on the sweptline site too but need info fast thanks again

-
Back