Not charging HEI upgraded:

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
The way I got the car (67 Barracuda) 2 years go, someone put in a HEI type ignition in it befor I got it. Just this spring it stopped charging. I took the alt to 2 different shops and tested good. The original voltage regulator is on the fire wall but not hooked up. So my question is: in the pictures here is anything a voltage regulator? And to add, there is a relay under the coil.

IMG_20170602_1635111_rewind.jpg

IMG_20170602_1635403_rewind.jpg

IMG_20170602_1635233_rewind.jpg

IMG_20170602_1635526_rewind.jpg

With the car running I'm getting 12.43 on the battery and 12.32 on the back of the alternator.

With the car running I'm getting 12.43 on the battery and 12.32 on the back of the alternator.

That first pic is the regulator and it's wiring is really simple.
The blue wire on the regulator plug should have 12v when the ignition is on, and the other wire goes to your alternator field terminal.
The regulator just senses the system voltage with the blue wire, and adjusts the field wire voltage to whatever the regulator thinks the charge amount should be out of the alternator.

I'd start by cleaning where it mounts really well and plugging it in.
These regulators need a good ground to sense and vary the charge output.

If it still doesn't charge then one of us can help further and see what's up, and in this case pics of the back of the alternator would help if you don't know if it's a dual or single field alternator.

Clean and remount the regulator first and see what it does.

Oh, and that HEI conversion is a work of art isn't it?

Regarding the alternator, it has 2 field connectors on the back, ill clean up the regulator and re test. Thanks!

Ok, when I go to order a new regulator what do I tell them it's out of? I know it's not stock for a 67 Barracuda...

Ok, when I go to order a new regulator what do I tell them it's out of? I know it's not stock for a 67 Barracuda...
any make/year from when they started using the flat regs with the triangle connector. '75 dart/any eng, for instance would be a guarantee correct part.

Ok first looking at the quality of wiring, you should run a jumper wire from Batt+ to the blue wire on the reg.. Start car important, let it idle and see what the voltage is at the batt. If good, then wiring is suspect. O and I agree /work of art wiring!

You will need to cut the blue wire and splice in the jumper. plug in the connector.

And the HEI upgrade has nothing to do with the charging circuit. It just looks bad.

Give us a photo of the alternator. Is this a Mopar unit? 1 or 2 field connections? (The small blade "push on" connector(s)

Might be it was never wired up, for all we know you have a "one wire" setup of some sort. There IS an add on small unit for Mopar "most any other" alternator a little "bug" mounts on the alternator

Give us a photo of the alternator. Is this a Mopar unit? 1 or 2 field connections? (The small blade "push on" connector(s)

Might be it was never wired up, for all we know you have a "one wire" setup of some sort. There IS an add on small unit for Mopar "most any other" alternator a little "bug" mounts on the alternator
Correct!

Yup, but I would test the blue wire at the alt connector for power with the ignition on first.
I have always been one to start with the easy stuff first, so if there is power to the regulator, then we know to move on with hard parts or wiring. :D
If there isn't power at the blue wire with the ignition on, then we know that's easy to solve.

It is a MOPAR ALT. it has 2 field connectors on the back, it charged just fine for 2 years...

Might be it was never wired up, for all we know you have a "one wire" setup of some sort. There IS an add on small unit for Mopar "most any other" alternator a little "bug" mounts on the alternator.

Last edited:
Well, if I have time this weekend, ill replace the voltage regulator and see what that does....

Well, if I have time this weekend, ill replace the voltage regulator and see what that does....

Waste of money in my opinion. You have not indicated what you have done to troubleshoot the thing, and we have no idea what's going on there, hacked up wiring? Mis wired? Adapted alternator? No idea. Might be a simple fix.

If you post some info we can step you through this and IF you need to buy a regulator, you will then be pretty sure, instead of throwing money at the bandit

-
Back