Not exactly how I wanted to spend my day.

-
Looks familiar !
1998 GMC 165.JPG

I had similar with daughters Mitsubishi Lancer wagon a few years ago replaced pump as all indications were the pump, same issue drop tank to get to pump, I did the same cut an access hole in back floor, to change what was thought to be dodgy replacement pump was not the pump wound up being the cradle the pump fitted into the wiring at the connection to the main harness to pump was intermittent so hit a decent bump or pothole suddenly no fuel

I like your style!

Reinstall with 1/4-20 button head rivnuts for a super clean job.

Well done Sir!

To add my 2 cents ($15.00 cdn)
Ford pumps have the lowest failure rate in my experience.
But are notorious for wiring failure. Harness along frame rail, any place there is a connector, is a good possibility of a corroded wire.

i use a circuit tracer to locate broken wires.

Dzus fasteners. Makes for a 10 minute fuel pump change.
F9269F8F-AB20-4F6F-BC3F-2432FA04B4C7.jpeg

CA73042D-D60D-4992-93D7-73FEC96AE773.jpeg

Mine has been this way since I had to do the first fuel pump on the side of the freeway with a full tank of fuel, in 2004.

Problem solved its running again. @sireland67 was right it in fact was not the fuel pump. After your comments last night it got me to thinking so I went back out and worked some more and I had no power at the pump everything else was good. So this morning I started checking again and sure enough I found it the wires run back to the rear of the vehicle and right under the the passenger side tail light one of my dogs had chewed the wiring apparently it had been that way for a long time because they were rusted and corroded bad I guess it just finally lost connection yesterday. I spliced the wires hooked everything back up and it fired right up. Im not sure how it didn't blow a fuse because the wires where mangled pretty good. Im glad I figured it out but a little aggravated I wasted a whole day and cut a giant hole in my floor haha. But it is what it is. At least its running now. I pop riveted the floor back in place and put the carpet back down you can barely even notice it now. I got to thinking about it last night and figured its probably a really bad idea to be welding over a plastic gas tank lol so I went the rivet route. Thanks for the help everyone. Even tho its not an a body or even a mopar yall pulled thru again! Big thanks to sireland67!

Problem solved its running again. @sireland67 was right it in fact was not the fuel pump. After your comments last night it got me to thinking so I went back out and worked some more and I had no power at the pump everything else was good. So this morning I started checking again and sure enough I found it the wires run back to the rear of the vehicle and right under the the passenger side tail light one of my dogs had chewed the wiring apparently it had been that way for a long time because they were rusted and corroded bad I guess it just finally lost connection yesterday. I spliced the wires hooked everything back up and it fired right up. Im not sure how it didn't blow a fuse because the wires where mangled pretty good. Im glad I figured it out but a little aggravated I wasted a whole day and cut a giant hole in my floor haha. But it is what it is. At least its running now. I pop riveted the floor back in place and put the carpet back down you can barely even notice it now. I got to thinking about it last night and figured its probably a really bad idea to be welding over a plastic gas tank lol so I went the rivet route. Thanks for the help everyone. Even tho its not an a body or even a mopar yall pulled thru again! Big thanks to sireland67!
But you did a mod that the factory should have done and will make future pump replacements a cakewalk. Don't beat yourself up over it. You done good!

But you did a mod that the factory should have done and will make future pump replacements a cakewalk. Don't beat yourself up over it. You done good!
Thanks bud! Im just glad its running and don't have to worry about how im getting to work tomorrow. And I got it done early enough I had time to work on the dart today

No problem, glad I saved you a few bucks, I have just found the actual pumps in Fords to be pretty reliable.
Dodge on the other hand, I had a Dakota I bought almost new, after it started getting a few miles on it, it would run like crap below a 1/4 tank, acted like it was low on fuel. Put gas in it and it would be fine, changed the pump and it was ok after that.
My son had a 97 Stratus, my grandpa bought new, one day it he said it would not start. I went out to look at it, yes it would not start, gas was shooting out between the taillight and bumper. The fitting on the end of the pump was broke.
88 S-10 my dad bought my sister new to drive to college, she drove the crap out of that truck, but kept it clean, she wrecked it when it had about 200,000 miles on it, only my little sister can total a truck and not bend one body panel, she hit a stone that had come off a hill dead center, did not even break the front spoiler under the bumper, but the rock hit the front cross member so hard the top of both front tires were sticking out of the fenders, she gave me the truck, I fixed the frame.
My wife would drive the crap out of that little truck 4cyl 5-speed, because it got better gas mileage than her Jeep.
But the wifes idea of putting gas in it was like 5 bucks at a time, it was always run near empty, it finally killed the pump. She was pissed when it quit because it would not re-start after she just put 10 bucks in at the gas pump.

"What wires? I dunno nuffin about no wires?"

View attachment 1715806088
Me and Marshall had a run in with the wire thing a few years ago too. He chewed the speed sensor out of the rear-end of my ram not once not twice but three time in the matter of 2 weeks! A therapy session with the shock collar and now he won't even go under a vehicle anymore. This is the guilty culprit this time around. He knew he effed up. He sat there so guilty looking the whole time I fixed it. I love my dogs but man that is aggravating when they destroy stuff lol. Ham the little brown dog is a chewer he chews on everything! Im still working with him but he is hard headed and nothing sinks in with this one. Cordie is the little black girl. She is a sweetheart she is the best listener and is just so calm and sweet all the time. Im pretty sure it was ham that did it this time.

20211004_164645.jpg

Screenshot_20211017-023820_Facebook.jpg

20210911_092941.jpg

-
Back