Not loving my ATI Rattler

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Put an ATI rattler on over the winter, fits great no issues there. I knew it would make some noise but figured I could handle it.... Well it kinda annoys me.

Street driven car that wll rarely see 6000rpm at the most. Internal balanced 340 with a forged crank maybe 350hp range.

What would you recomend? Stock or?

Put an ATI rattler on over the winter, fits great no issues there. I knew it would make some noise but figured I could handle it.... Well it kinda annoys me.

Street driven car that wll rarely see 6000rpm at the most. Internal balanced 340 with a forged crank maybe 350hp range.

What would you recomend? Stock or?

may i ask why the balancer would make noise?

may i ask why the balancer would make noise?

its an ati rattler loose weights in it hence the name "rattler". i have an internal balenced crank in my 408 and i went with a professonal products balencer from summit. has bolt on weights for any external crank and if you have internal like ours you dont use any of the weights great balencer and great price

its an ati rattler loose weights in it hence the name "rattler". i have an internal balenced crank in my 408 and i went with a professonal products balencer from summit. has bolt on weights for any external crank and if you have internal like ours you dont use any of the weights great balencer and great price

weird... i would think something came loose all the time lol...

it should only do it at start up and shut down - right?

it should only do it at start up and shut down - right?

That's the only time you should hear it, according to the description of it and what I've heard from people who have them. If it's always making noise, maybe it's compensating for a not-quite-balanced rotating assembly.?

You should not hear it much. You have the choice I'd suggest. The professional Products have a probem with outer ring slippage. Anything made by Cyco Products that is not SFI certified is junk. They make the Pro Street and Pro Race lines. So I'd say get an SFI balancer from anyone and hope for the best. Unless it's ATI or TCI, it's all cheap made ****. (sorry, I'm bitter about the cheap balancers...)

Startup and shutdown are very noticeable. When the engine is cold and runs a little rough it will also make the rattle noise.

I have not run mine - but i had it on the balancing machine at the shop - it made a couple click at startup and shutdown - but other then that it was quiet.

erratic idling could do it i guess, but you can really hear that over the motor?

When it's being cold blooded I can. Nice cool Alberta morning on start up with no choke or crossover when it sits and idles for a few minutes.

I also may be a bit anal retentive too...

I,m running the ATI Super Dampner on my 410sb with no issues.It was expensive,but was cheap compared to my engine and the work done.Good luck.

I had a CAT SFI rated fluid type damper and I was impressed with the build quality (no forging lines) if you can believe it (but it did have a pulley alignment issue, too thick, and it didnt come with a longer bolt (?)). I have the Pro-parts now and it has a scribe between the inner and outer ring that is still straight...We'll see, eh?
!CEDWybwEWk~$(KGrHqYOKpkE0UrYTb2-BNQoOY4p7g~~_12.JPG

-
Back