NOT MINE 1968 BO29 Hemi Cuda (supposedly) the real deal - $200,000

-
If you've never heard of that car....you haven't been around long, or much.
I have been around very much, how many of you have been to the US Nationals? I have been there at least a dozen times.

So enlighten me about this Hemi cuda and its history.

I’ve researched these cars, old cars price guide and another internet collector car forum and the consensus is these cars are valued at 93-97k , and that is for a top condition car.

My take is always been these type of "real" cars is a fairly small group of cars and the players for such is a relatively small and close bunch. It has always seemed the top cars are sold and traded in the group thru word of mouth. Those cars represent history. Thats their value to me. Their $$ value has meaning to the guys playing and me....I care less.

This group here is likely not good candidates for this car. I don't know about everyone in A-bodies, but I would have a very difficult time not messing with this car. Just too much desire for some seat time. And that would likely be a sin to the history of the car.

I stay clear of historical as well as red carpet concourse cars. Knowing I'm very capable of screwing them up. Lol.

I have been around very much, how many of you have been to the US Nationals? I have been there at least a dozen times.

So enlighten me about this Hemi cuda and its history.
I've never been to the U.S.Nationals, (Indy,right?) but I saw it at the Summer Nationals at Englishtown when I was in my early twenties. I am now in my early sixties & know the car hasn't been drag racing for a long time. I'm sure it was at the U.S.Nationals back in its (The cars) heyday. It IS a real nice car.

I've never been to the U.S.Nationals, (Indy,right?) but I saw it at the Summer Nationals at Englishtown when I was in my early twenties. I am now in my early sixties & know the car hasn't been drag racing for a long time. I'm sure it was at the U.S.Nationals back in its (The cars) heyday. It IS a real nice car.
I’m sure it is nice, I believe it is not at the 200 k value. Its easy to get emotional about these cars, like I am about mine and everyone else is about theirs. It’s not grumpy’s 68 Camaro or sox & martin 70 cuda. Those are high dollar, significant history cars. I saw quaden dodge hemi dart sell for 80k in the late 80’s. At the time I believed that to be a 20k premium. They are rare cars for sure, just not all that collectible without national event wins.

Would I like to have one?

Hell yeah.

Is it a reality?

NO.

And definitely not for stupid money.

Andy Helfner sold each one of Akron Arlens super stockers...68 barracuda sold over a million..restored by Lee Hodge...he also sold Arlens 70 Duster world championship winner for over a million...also restored by Lee Hodge

The market sets the price. To the current owner, it'll take $200,000 to pry it loose. At that price, it looks like he'll keep it. It'll change hands when his and a buyer's price point meet. ECON 101.

Andy Helfner sold each one of Akron Arlens super stockers...68 barracuda sold over a million..restored by Lee Hodge...he also sold Arlens 70 Duster world championship winner for over a million...also restored by Lee Hodge
Yep,championship cars with name recognition. And I’m assuming lee hodge is a quality restorer.

The biggest problem with these cars is the paper trail of the car dries up, no history, car goes missing and then the car reappears. Also missing fender tags on those cars. Those cars pull no money (but some have pulled the $$ and they are not the original car). The two that run the registers on these cars is the must in your research, when interested in one of these cars.

Y’all getting the floor sloppy with your drooling. I disagree with your valuations. Never heard of that car, no name recognition like “red light bandit”. Back in the day did it win any national events? What dealership sold the car and to who? Most of all, it’s condition and originality.

Seen the car, up close a few years back. Met Clayton Wright, the original owner. Car is legit. Also have seen it race at Englishtown at the Mopar Atlantic Nationals about 35 years ago. The car was parked in a garage 5 minutes from my house in Fairless Hills, Pa. I have not looked at it (Numbers wise) really good, but he has had the car a long time & I also believe it IS the original engine. Owner is a real nice guy & I don't think he'd B/S anyone about the car's authenticity. It's a pretty nice car. It was a pretty common site on the East Coast drag circuit (ATCO, Englishtown, Maple Grove, etc.) in its day. Car has been under wraps for well over 20 years. I would think it was worth the money. Not many unrestored originals left, let alone owned by the same person all this time. IMHO

I know nothing about its value, but you guys need to read the C/L ad that is linked in post #1. It answers some of your questions.
I was good friends with a guy who knew Clayton. I always got the impression that Clayton was just a regular working stiff like most of us; and he got himself a HEMI! He also had a 65 Belvedere wagon, 273 2 bbl. that was (and still is, but with a new owner) a U/SA Stock Eliminator car. It, of course, was a much less expensive car to maintain. The quickest and one of the slowest (FWD stockers being slower) Mopars in Stock Eliminator!

I also lived near the car. I never stopped to talk to him but I would drive by to make sure the car was still there. Every so often, on a Saturday afternoon, he would light it off! And you knew.......

Talking stupid money. Watched part of Barrett Jackson Scottsdale yesterday. Couldn't believe what people were paying for things. Lowest price was still over 300k.

Talking stupid money. Watched part of Barrett Jackson Scottsdale yesterday. Couldn't believe what people were paying for things. Lowest price was still over 300k.
Yep. Some people have more dollars than sense!

Clayton Wright is the real deal.
Been there and done that.
I saw this car race at Suffolk years ago, YEARS.
It's a real BO.
You can only give something away once.
The problem is, the way I see it is, the demographic is getting older, if not dying off.
The window might be closing on buyers and cash.

ClaytonWright.jpg

-
Back