Not so great, better, Awesome!

-

70DusterBob

Reaction score
Got this Duster 15 years ago. Started with a /6, which I don't have a pic of, but then went to the engine that came out of a '72 Dart, 1st pic.

Drove it a couple years, then upgraded to the 2nd photo, 12 years ago, but it took a long time to upgrade it. Sanded the rusty engine compartment but good, used RustOleum's Rusty Metal Primer. Keep in mind this was 12 years ago, no rust has returned!!! Put some bucket seats in, and I was down the road!

Then I dove in and really went to town. This for me, on my budget is the best I can have. It may not be the best out there, I'm sure other people have more HP, but I'm happy with 475HP. And the way I got this to look makes me happy too.

I swapped the engine to a 408, HP Transmission from Blue Print Engines, stall converter, most recently got an 8-3/4 to replace the 8-1/4. Now, the last piece to the puzzle... the drive shaft. A Dr Diff 3" race drive shaft that is!! Been putting around with the factory shaft for a 360, which was in it before.

Soon I will be on my way. I've got 270 miles on break in. 230 more to go! I'm hoping it is HoHoHo, Merry all the way from here. Took 3 years to upgrade/build this baby. She's all I got, but she's all I need.

1st Engine.jpg

Engine Before.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

DusterSide View.jpg

I think it's awesome! Reminds me of I Duster I had with American Racing wheels a long time ago

What brand are the headers you have on the car, & what are the tube & collector diameters?

Why switch from holley strip dominator to airgap? Run better? Just curious.

The Air Gap runs better at lower RPM, which my cam desperately needs, but the Dominator worked better at 3,000-top end. My fuel mileage was better like averaging 14mpg if I remember with the Dominator and sunk to 8 with the Air Gap. The Air Gap pulls more air in at lower rpm and thus there when my gas mileage. But it was a 360 with the Dominator too, now it has a 408, I'm sure that hurt the city mileage too.

The TTI headers kick ***! I can feel the exhaust 10' behind the car, but I do have 3" exhaust from collector to bumper with chambered mufflers that are inside dia 3" as well! I highly recommend them, but I had to go from the stock automatic valve body to a manual valve body to be able to get the shifter cable to work right. It was too crowded and no place for the kick down with the TTIs either.

I also had to re-route the trans cooling lines to the "fender" drivers side, to get them to work. There is no room for squat but the headers, but boy do they work!!!

-
Back