NotchBack- Coupe & HardTop??? Please help

-

3yearcuda

Reaction score
I ordered a WS303 from Year One stating "Rear window gasket for 1968-1969 Barracuda notchback models".
When the glass guy comes over to install it, it wont fit. It wouldnt fit in the openeing and when he tried it on the glass, it was too tight on the top and too long on the bottom. The glass guy checks his sources via blackberry and sees that there is a Barracuda Coup measurement of 38" x 52" and a Hard top measurement of 26" x 52". The first number being the top to bottom measurement
I apparently have a 1969 hard top as it has roll down quarterglass windows. Year One says i have the correct gasket even when i have told them that it doesnt fit and that there are differences in measurements.

Has anyone run into this issue before? I'm at a loss and dont know who or what to believe. Please help. Its the only thing holding me up from driving my 8 year restoration. Thanks much.

I'll let you know in a few days when the glass people install the WS303 from Year One (which actually comes from Steele) on my 68 notchback.

Thanks JTG. I would be very interested to hear how you made out. I'm very puzzled. I now have a gasket coming for $259 bucks that is for a NAGS# DB4076 glass. If it doesnt fit, i'll snap.

Hi 3yearcuda, the glass people installed the WS303 weatherstrip on the rear of my 68 Barracuda notchback this morning, they had no problem with it fitting around the glass and inside the window opening like its suppose to. The only minor problem encountered was a small gap between the weatherstrip and the headliner on the inside of the car, which visually looked terrible (mind you had this same problem with the original weatherstrip also) so they fixed it without distrubing the glass or weatherstrip (don't know how) and now its looks perfectly fine. Not sure what Year One sent you, the WS303 is used for all three years 67-69 notchbacks. Maybe they accidently packaged a fastback weatherstrip like mcodecuda mentioned. I was lead to believe notchback, coupe and hardtop were all the same car and then you have fastback and then convertible.

I have to agree with "packaged wrong".
In a perfect world the vendors would state "notch back" and "fast back" and leave out "hard top" when designating these models. Barracudas are all 2 door sport coupes after all. Hard top should only apply to post models in my opinion.
Year One will step up and make it right in most cases. Good luck

Coupe generally means there is a post between the front window and rear where as a hard top has no post. Barracuda whether notchback or fast back are all hard tops.

My glass guy ordered a gasket for a 69 Barracuda using the NAGS number and measurements of the opening from Precision Rubber Products. It was $249 bucks but was correct, fit perfectly, lock strip included and looks great.
So, tommorrow i'll get with Year One and try to get my money back ($159 + shipping to Canada) for what is, obviously the wrong rear glass gasket for a 1969 Barracuda Notchback Hardtop. I'll let you know how i make out.

Thanks JTG for the update. Glad to hear that all went well on your install. Did Year One provide the lock strip with the gasket?

Anytime 3yearcuda, the lock strip was included in the WS303 package they sent me.

My glass guy ordered a gasket for a 69 Barracuda using the NAGS number and measurements of the opening from Precision Rubber Products. It was $249 bucks but was correct, fit perfectly, lock strip included and looks great.
So, tommorrow i'll get with Year One and try to get my money back ($159 + shipping to Canada) for what is, obviously the wrong rear glass gasket for a 1969 Barracuda Notchback Hardtop. I'll let you know how i make out.

Lock strip? '69's didn't use a lock strip. I'm not sure if you can reinstall the stainless window trim if you have a lock strip.

67 Barracuda was the only year using the lock strip if I'm not mistaken.

Hmmm, yep a lockstrip was used and chrome trim put on after. Looks great.
When i called Steele Rubber Products, they were suprised that Year One didnt supply the lock strip with the gasket, so they supplied.
Probably best, as Year One woulda screwed that up too.

-
Back