Nothing worse than watching the weather on race weekends

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice two day points races at Keystone this weekend and I’m sitting here watching the weather trying to decide if I should load up the car. With 6.00 fuel prices and an hours tow each way I can’t afford to tow to get rained out. 65% chance tomorrow and they are predicting worse storms on Sunday. Years ago this wouldn’t have even been a thought. Two 7500.00 non points races st keystone next weekend then an off weekend then three 15000.00 races at Dragway 42

A real racer would go!:poke::):rolleyes:

An hour drive would be what 50-60 miles, worst case, 120 mile round trip. At 10 mpg we are talking 12 gallons, so 72 bucks, that's what you pay for some fast food meals and a few Starbucks coffees.

Maybe you get there and no one or few show and you race and win!

A real racer would go!:poke::):rolleyes:

An hour drive would be what 50-60 miles, worst case, 120 mile round trip. At 10 mpg we are talking 12 gallons, so 72 bucks, that's what you pay for some fast food meals and a few Starbucks coffees.

Maybe you get there and no one or few show and you race and win!

I guess at 66 and in a fixed income with several costly races coming up I have to you my head a little. That plus loading and unloading by yourself takes a toll too. Also the two 67.00 entries come into play because it it rains you get a rain check not your cash back. The Dragway 42 race is 495.00 and next weekend is 300.00.

Man it's been raining here for the last 2 weeks on the West coast. And the forecast says more to come. I could understand you not wanting to tie your weekend up to sit around waiting for something that never happens.

Stay home and get something done. Nothing worse than a rain out.

It's a good time to make some more of your food entries, I'm hungry.
Maybe you could bake some cookies to cheer you up on a rainy day.
65% chance of rain is a deal breaker.

It's a good time to make some more of your food entries, I'm hungry.
Maybe you could bake some cookies to cheer you up on a rainy day.
65% chance of rain is a deal breaker.

Boring weekend food wise. I picked up a pork butt, kelby, and sauerkraut to throw in the slow cooker to have while watching NHRA drag racing this weekend from Virginia.

I'm with PBR, with fuel prices where they are it's tough to justify going somewhere just to turn around & go home. I've passed on going to a couple of swap meets because of fuel prices. One meet would have cost me somewhere in the vicinity of 400 to 450 in fuel & there is no assurance of making that kind of money at the meet.

Got that right !! the local forecast called for rain but there was a small window to get some racing in, I was surprised to get the text yesterday a.m. saying that the track was opening ( had to go anyhow to move my trailer due to a large meet coming on Sunday ) they tried though : one time shot then right into eliminations , I iost second round then just as I loaded the car in the trailer it started raining so at least they got a few rounds in, the track made some $$ and racers got some points.

Last edited:
Well I rolled the dice and stayed home and like your track modified the schedule to one time trial instead of two and they got the race in. Today was supposed to be even worse weather and that changed to and now it’s looking better. It was a hot muggy day so I would have struggled anyway so at least now I know my home air conditioner works. Street outlaws at Maple Grove Pa and NHRA in Virginia both dealt with rain yesterday. I’ll go to Church today, maybe fix a water line in my shop, and hopefully watch some NHRA finals tonight.

My local track had a street race Saturday that I like to attend and run the 7.10 index class. Were calling for rain all week and so wife and I decide it wasn't worth the gamble as she races too. With 2 tows, 2 race entries, just adds up quickly even when the track is 30 miles away. We ended up doing some other stuff and kinda like I figured if we didn't go they'd get the race in, but if we went it would rain. They started at noon and were done at 3:30 and everyone got 2 time runs. Heard there was maybe 60-70 cars total. Also don't think they ran the 7.10 index class as they need 10 cars to make a class or they won't run it. There's other classes that you can/could run instead, but I really enjoy the pro tree index, just different than my normal bracket stuff. I'd really not been happy if we made the trip and than had to run another class instead, so worked out for us, just sucks for the track owner with such a small car count, but not sure what they expect with such a crappy weather forecast and gas prices so high.

Oh I don't know. We got a local weather girl that's a real cutie pie. Semi professional body builder. I kind like watchin her forecast. lol

Oh I don't know. We got a local weather girl that's a real cutie pie. Semi professional body builder. I kind like watchin her forecast. lol
I m with you moparstud.. after over 30 years of full tree bracket racing I also really enjoy pro tree 11.50 index racing been doing it about 9 years now. Unfortunately my local / home track won't do index racing again a couple years ago they tried index racing with a guaranteed payout .. they paid it out but didn't get the car count to cover the costs so they won't do it again no matter how much we keep asking for it. To index race we have to travel about two hours which we usually do in the fall quite a bit. I was going to just run index this year and not run points at my home track about 32 miles away I decided due to gas prices to just stick to running points locally and run index in the fall.. well I m doing lousy in points we are already considering missing a points day to travel and run index.. I miss the pro tree !!!

B5E43003-0334-467E-8A83-DAE62794F212.jpeg

-
Back