Now in deep with Super Six conversion KICKDOWN woes

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Spent all weekend doing the super six conversion. from my original 66 dart 225 Holley 1 bbl, to the Super Carter bbd, manifolds, gas pedal, linkages.
Ok so I was able to install everything except the kickdown linkage. I removed the orig kickdown, and the one I am trying to install has this bolt type pin connection. First I tried with bolt on right side, no way cant move, hits the body. Then tried with bolt on left side, I can get it on but it cant go back n forth all the way back, it is hitting against the body. There is really no room in there for this piece. What am I doing wrong? Is there another piece that I can fit instead? I am really at a loss here, I am supposed to be driving this car to work this week.

I am concerned that if I drive it as it is, even to the tranny repair shop, if that kickdown piece gets jammed I am in big trouble. I was even thinking maybe it gets installed from below, upside down, but that doesn't seem right to have the cotter pin keeping it from falling downward.
help please.... and I want to tell you all how much fun it is to work from under the car in this crap tiny space that is the transmission kickdown. At one point I almost decided to remove the damn exhaust pipe, but didn't.

linkagekickdown - 1.jpg

Put a Buchillon or other cable on it and be done with it.

Will it fit on the bottom rather than the top??

Jake

Take the bolt out and use a set screw. I'd get one with an allen head, they would be easier to tighten.

Thanks for all the ideas. Allen screw was great idea, however after going to Oreilly and Home Depot and neither having a 5/16 Allen screw, i gave up. I tried bending a few times, all of it was no fun. So took it to a tranny shop, gave him an extra kickdown bar, and asked him to try to get it working.
I did search around for the Cable ideas, seems like $150 for the kit. But had a hard time finding any pictures of the complete installation. What I cant do is remove that little pincher mounted on the kickdown peg on the tranny. Maybe I can sell all the olds parts, manifold, holley, rod, pedal etc... and break even? When driving it to the shop, I did notice much louder and a little stronger AND NO HESITATION. horayy

-
Back