Now that I have the exhaust system done , the headers have a crack

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
no idea what headers they are , they are SS . What are the best fitting easiest to install headers these days ? Would really prefer manifolds , but the prices for good flowing stock 340 manifolds are crazy .
CAR IS 1970 Swinger 340 Auto with power steering . And good ground clearance would be nice . It never ends !!!

Doug's or TTI. And by the way, neither are "easy" to install. Time and patience are required.

I put Doug's on my Demon last year and maaaan it's tight under there. They do fit, though. And tucked up nice and high.

my tti headers were cake to install. just follow the directions. ground clearance is awsome , plugs are easy to get to and have had no issue with leaks. nice thick flanges. .

So the not for 727 auto no longer applies with Doug and Tti ?

my tti headers were cake to install. just follow the directions. ground clearance is awsome , plugs are easy to get to and have had no issue with leaks. nice thick flanges. .
Of all the dart headers IO've installed back 35 years ago nothing was easy . Do these Tti just drop in or is it time to take apart steering , lift motor and have a basball bat and hammer at the ready ?
Do you think I can just change driver side as passnger side is fine , no dents or cracks , or do both sides have to be done .. Not sure the brand in now , but they look like SS or chromed , not sure . Will take picture later , maybe someone can ID them
Shorty headman look good , but don't want to change the starter

Of all the dart headers IO've installed back 35 years ago nothing was easy . Do these Tti just drop in or is it time to take apart steering , lift motor and have a basball bat and hammer at the ready ?
Do you think I can just change driver side as passnger side is fine , no dents or cracks , or do both sides have to be done .. Not sure the brand in now , but they look like SS or chromed , not sure . Will take picture later , maybe someone can ID them
Shorty headman look good , but don't want to change the starter

drop right in? oh hell no nothing "drops right in". but if you follow the directiuons which includes taking the steering linkage apart and lifting the motor some they will go in a ton easier then the old hookers and headmans. atleast they did for me.. and on top of everything else you will have a ton of ground clrearance and easy accessibility to the plugs.

if your doing the drivers side you may as well do the passenger side. the passenger side is the easier one to do.

i assume the tti work with a 727 but not sure. call and find out. or go with dougs. both light years better then hooker or headmans.

look how much ground clearance tti/dougs have. hooker and headmans hang atleast 4" lower.

DSC02553-1.jpg

drivers side plugs are cake to get to. no burnt wires like with hooker and headmans..

DSC06178.jpg

passenger side just as easy..

DSC06179.jpg

here ya go. here is the different design between the tti/dougs and the hooker/headman ( and the other cheepie headers). the new ones are TTI. the passenger side isn't really different. the drivers side is way different..

5-17-05009.jpg

5-17-05008.jpg

5-17-05007.jpg

5-17-05006.jpg

5-17-05005.jpg

5-17-05004.jpg

TTI's or Dougs are the way to go for a street header. Or you could look in to shortys or even a set of Magnum manifolds. They are said to flow about the same as the old 340 HP's do.

Thanks abodyjoe , what is with the 2nd pipe and last pipe ? Looks like there is a plate or box holding them ?

-
Back