now thats a barn find....

-
heard it all went for like 3.5 million. shame the owner died. its the only reason the stuff is out in day light.

Dont you think for one minute there aint more stuff like that out there either.

Wow;Must have been quite a guy.Sure would have been great to talk to him and hear all the stories.Sad to lose characters like this gone forever.

Wonder where all the money will go? Thats the kind of thing where people come out of the woodwork saying that this and that belonged to them and it was just being stored there. I think someone like leno should have come in and bought it all then built a proper museum type of housing arrangement where everyone could learn about them instead of being locked away in a private collection

I'd say WOW but sometimes guys like that stack stuff up and don't really get to enjoy it. If I had the kind of money AND TIME that it took to mass that stuff, I'd much rather have some that RAN and get some enjoyment out of em, instead of looking at the dust grow

apparently they all ran when they went on to that garage. guess he just never drove them except for the one model a. i'd want to drive/ride all of them if it were mine.

Increadable.
The narrarator really knew his stuff when it came to the bikes.

I want to know the original owner/collector life story. What business was he in or where did his money come from? We know he wasn't a parts yard operator because no parts are missing. Definately a hoarder and an opertunist who always had a stack of cash, moonshine, groceries, something to trade since he aquired operating cars and bikes from their owners. I've known 2 men who made a good living subcontracting railroad work. 2 more that made their fortune printing bootleg gas stamps during the depression.
Never met a moonshinner but did meet a shine runner once. All fascinating characters.

It's entirely possible that "Lee" never even rode a motorcycle.
I wonder who helped him store the bikes on that top shelf too ?
I think the book about the man would be much more interesting that the collection itself.
Holywood would need to put it all back where it was to make the movie LOL
Anyway, Thanks for the link to the video.

I'm completely impressed! I haven't seen anything like that in my life.
Personally, I would have liked to see that entire display stay in tact rather than be auctioned off, but I suppose the family, or some fund will benefit from the sale.

Great collection, and wonderful story. Thanks for posting that link. :thumbup:

I want to know the original owner/collector life story. What business was he in or where did his money come from?

I found this, it was a little story done up with his obituary.

One of the most remarkable museum collections in the Chicago area has never been seen by most area residents, and recent developments indicate they may never get that chance.

Lee Hartung’s private museum hidden in a quiet corner of west Glenview is chock-full of things seldom found anywhere else, and certainly not in one place.

Scrap dealer Hartung allowed visitors by appointment only, and those appointments were not readily dispensed. And after a long illness, Hartung died in May, and the museum has been closed, perhaps for good.
His collection includes at least 76 cars, according to his long-time companion, Marjorie Cox. Many are Model T’s and Model A’s and all are rarities.
He had dozens of vintage motorcycles, including at least one with wooden rims. There were prams, pedal cars, bicycles and toys. He collected license plates dating from the first year they were offered in every state, and had a large collection of local police badges.

A decade ago, Hartung told Pioneer Press he was trying to give the collection to a museum, but couldn’t find a taker.

“I hate to break up the license plate collection — it took me 50 years to put together and can never be duplicated again,” he said in 2000. “But the collection’s too big for any individual to house. It has to go in a museum.”
Cox said last week that she’s planning to sell the museum’s entire contents, and not necessarily to any single person or entity.

“I’m going to sell it whatever way I can to maximize my income,” she said.
She said she is burdened by upcoming property taxes, after losing an appeal. Cox, of Wilmette, is the executor of Hartung’s estate, his former attorney said.

She and her son and a hired crew have been cleaning up the museum, long known to be cluttered with extraneous junk and dust.
Until relatively recently, visitors said they needed flashlights to see the collection.

“He had some serious electrical issues, but he brought all that into compliance,” Glenview Development Director Mary Bak said.

The museum — which may have started as early as 1950 — is on four acres in a residentially-zoned area, Bak said. Last year, negotiations were afoot between Hartung and the village to get the zoning changed to industrial.

“We worked with his attorney to do something with the zoning code to make it legal, but he kept saying, don’t worry, hold it off,” Bak said. “He was suspicious, but then he said he was ready to participate, and then he died.

“His collection was unbelievable,” Bak said. “And he was a really sweet man.”

What an amazing set of videos. Antique motorcycles, Model T's, model A's, didn't see any Dodge Brothers. Any word on how the auction went and where these machines have gone?? Thanks, Joe for posting this.

ATB

BC

-
Back