NSS Wiring Missing and Reverse Lights? 3 on the Tree to Auto

-

rymanrph

Reaction score
When I bought my '68 Barracuda it had a 318 and 904 with the single pole NSS, but no wire connecting it.

I'm swapping in a 360 and 727. I kept the single pole NSS but I still have no wire to run to it. From what I've read, it should be a brown wire coming from the starter relay, but this is how my car was setup when I purchased it.

78DC3E7B-4B2B-4699-B9FD-77E577636E5A_zpsuoxexufo.jpg

4FDE1F2B-21D1-4E5B-9C46-7E5297AC8029_zpsmzm6rxiw.jpg

I'm assuming the grounded wire coming from the bottom right of the relay should be the wire going to the NSS. Two questions: How do I know if my 727 is supposed to have the 3 wire or 1 wire NSS (and does that matter?) and where can I get the correct plug/wire to connect to it and the starter relay?

The NSS itself is always 1-wire, and simply shorts to ground as the P.O. fool did with the white jumper (very unsafe). The other 2 terminals (outer, I recall) on the later NSS switch are for the backup lamps. I think in 68, the backup lamp switch was somewhere else, like on the shifter (in my 65 floor shift).

You can use either a 1-wire or 3-wire NSS. Just don't use the extra wires if the later. The wire connector will be the harder part to get, and you may need to go junkyarding for that. I would use whatever you can get, or whatever is already on the tranny. If it doesn't have an NSS, it would be leaking fluid.

I take it back; I have the three prong NSS on the trans. The junkyards around here don't have anything old, so I might have to go in the classifieds section to see if someone can help me out. Thanks.

If you are running a later trans, stick with the three pin NSS. Simply use only the center pin and run it up to where your jumper wire is hooked.

Outer two are reverse lamps

Ok, I've learned a little. My car was originally a 3 on the tree car; its now a column shift auto. The original violet wires that ran from the engine harness to the backup light switch have been cut. On the under the dash harness, there is no branch out for the backup light switch since it wasn't originally an auto. I assume that if I had those wires, they would have plugged in here on the steering column.

DSC_0456_zps05cf53d9.jpg

The picture doesn't show it, but the wires plugged into the harness just loops around; its just one wire.

So, at this point, I'm a little confused as to what I need to do. All of my wiring appears to be for a manual transmission, so how do I wire a NSS and the reverse lights?

I've got those neutral safety switch harnesses for sale (PM me if you need one). The three pin style uses two shorter wires for the reverse light circuit that plug into the headlight harness and one long wire that runs up to the spade shown grounded in the top pic. If you're going to use the common 3 pin switch, you can just run the reverse light part of the harness into the car, and make your connection at the steering column as it is in your original set-up.

Here's the thing...........

I don't know anything about converting an auto column to stick, but if you are using a 727, no reason not to use a 3 pin NSS and put your reverse lights down there. Refer to a shop manual, the wiring for a stick shift reverse light, AND the 69/ later autos goes through the wiper section of the bulkhead connector

That is, assuming the reverse switch you have now does not work.

I think you guys have given me enough to go on, but I can't do anything until I get the car back together and running.

Thanks, we'll see how it goes.

-
Back