nv241hd rebuild

-

daredevil

Reaction score
looking for someone interested in rebuilding my transfer case in my 5 speed 4x4 dodge 2001 3500 houston area would be a plus. i,ll pull and reinstall. I broke it down a while back and replaced the little nylon fingers that move the internals and it wasnt bad for a while but when it jumps out of 2 hi it kabangs and im scared im gonna break something major. a rebuild manual would be nice if it explains what to check but i dont want to go in blind again. Does anyone know if this is covered in the service manual?

DD, I don't know much about this, but a shot in the dark is;

Are you sure that the linkage is set up right, not bent or anything.

I'm grasping at straws on this, sorry, I'm not so familar with this tranny. I only have the 833 with extrnal linkages. Your problem sounds like one I had/have with the trans popping out of second.
My rod was bent.

Make sure you tires are same diameter from front to rear that can sometimes cause that issue because most of those transfer cases are non syncronized.

all 6 tires are same size same brand and i keep them rotated. and it pops out in 2wd

a bump to stay out of oblivion. would maybe be interested in another transfer case for a 3500 dually 4wd if anyone knows of a totalled truck

I redid the 241 HD in my 94 cummins I bought this fall, it was doing the same thing. I had to put a shift fork in it that controls the 2 hi to netural, to 4 low. It was really easy. I did it in the truck, only took half of it apart. My chain was good and all the bearings were fine, so I only needed the shift fork. I guess they wear out from not enough lube in them, as the tail shaft moves in and out and it takes a little lube each time, after a 100 thousand it is down a bit and this range lever is high and dry. I did the whole thing in two hours tops, and I have never worked on a transfer case before in my life.
I just started by taking the driveshafts off, then the rear driveshaft tail housing comes off and then there is some snap rings and then another housing comes off. Then the front shaft hub is taken off and then you split the case. That whole deal was maybe a half hour. I cleaned everything up good and that took the longest, along with checking everything out. Went to the dealer and they had the range fork in stock, went back and stuck that on, kind of a tricky deal as it is a tight fit and I didnt want to break those little plastic tabs.
What mine would do was go into 4 low, and I couldnt get it out, I bought the truck that way. The guy sold it to the junkyard and I snagged it, glad I did, it is a good running cummins. He was told the transfer case was junk. I looked up all the parts for price wise, and it isnt all that bad to put a new chain and new bearings, but all mine were fine luckily, so I didnt need em.
Maybe the area that the those plastic teeth rid on was chewed up and it took them out again.

Hello folks, i'm new to the forum.

I;m trying to determine if the T case in my 96 ram desiel has a loose yoke flange nut or an output bearing bad. It appears the the nut it loose because when i move the driveshafts a bit, i see play in the yoke flange, but not in the nut that holds the flange to the shaft.
I;ll find out when i drop the front driveshaft....
in the meantime, if it is the bearing, does anyone know if the bearing can be removed while the tcase is on the truck? Does the case need to be on the bench? Does the case need to be opened, or can the bearing be removed after the flange is removed.

I'v have never opened up and worked on a tcase.
Is it difficult for a well seasoned backyard mechanic?

thanks

thanks cageman,i downloaded the fsm and im going back in. i am starting to believe its all in the shift fork or chain and youre right they are pretty simple.

-
Back