nys inspection for converter

-

justin hughes

Miss my car
Reaction score
i have a 76 valiant that shows no signs that i can see of ever having a catalytic converter. the exhaust looks as if it was patched up where there could have been a converter but theres no heat shield. did my car come with a convereter? ny is strict on inspections so i dont think i could slide it through and get a sticker. if i do need a converter, are there any suggestions like high flow. my car is a slant 6 car and i was just going to run a cherry bomb with a single side exit for now.

i have a 76 valiant that shows no signs that i can see of ever having a catalytic converter. the exhaust looks as if it was patched up where there could have been a converter but theres no heat shield. did my car come with a convereter? ny is strict on inspections so i dont think i could slide it through and get a sticker. if i do need a converter, are there any suggestions like high flow. my car is a slant 6 car and i was just going to run a cherry bomb with a single side exit for now.

I know the floor pan was altered for the converter but I think the heat shield was on the converter instead of on the car.
I've heard of people having 2 exhaust systems. One installed for inspection day only. Good luck

In NY cars 85 and under are safety only inspections no emission tests. so basicaly what im saying is you dont need a catalytic converter. you might fail for a side exit exhaust if its in front of the rear tire though.

Dan is right, any car in New York State, anywhere in the state that is older than 25 years of age only needs a saftey inspection. Missing equipment of any kind unless it is for the safe operation of the vehicle is not needed.

TECHNICLY , it still cant be missing emissions equipment.

Some '76s came with converters, others didn't. If you post the fender tag data (or a clear photo of the fender tag) we can give a better idea of how your car was originally equipped. A "quick and dirty" check is to see whether the car has an unleaded-fuel nozzle restrictor in the fill pipe, and "Unleaded Fuel Only" labels near the gas cap and on the dashboard.

TECHNICLY , it still cant be missing emissions equipment.

It can be. A claim that there was no drive train or serverly missing drive train can be made and it'll be passed. His car will not hit the dyno for a smog check and a visual inspection that has noted a missing converter can be adjusted due to above claim.

Some '76s came with converters, others didn't. If you post the fender tag data (or a clear photo of the fender tag) we can give a better idea of how your car was originally equipped. A "quick and dirty" check is to see whether the car has an unleaded-fuel nozzle restrictor in the fill pipe, and "Unleaded Fuel Only" labels near the gas cap and on the dashboard.
it did have an unleaded fuel only sticker by the gas cap that i removed.

-
Back