Obd1 wiring help to 71 Duster

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I have my 71 Duster and a 95 magnum 5.9. I also own the hard copy shop manuals for both the Duster and the Ram the engine came from. I open up the wiring schematics and just get an instant headache. Everything I have read says this engine is sime as hell to get functioning in this car. One fulltime hot wire, switched hot, and grounds. I am not nearly savy enough to figure out where to source those wires or even read in the schematic which is which. A little help please?

Or

Is there enough room under my hood for an Edelbrock air gap and a spacer for my Thermoquad?

From what I've been reading, it's easier if you have the ecm, harness and engine fuse box.
Very, very much so. Doesn't seem like the wiring diagram changed nearly as much as the plugs over the years. OBD-II saw a ton of variation for sure- my '96 stuff shared more with '95s than with '97s or especially '98-00s even though '95s were OBD-I.

Not exactly sure what you're asking - but here goes.

1) What I did was to simply install the engine and harness. Mounted the PCM (computer) to the rear of the passenger side shelf in the engine compartment.

2) I installed the PDC (fuse panel) on the rear of the drivers side shelf.

3) Find the run wire that connects the Ram ignition switch to the PDC. Then connect the run wire from your ignition switch to the PDC wire. Now you have your switched hot.

I used the Ram battery and alternator cables. The battery cable feeds the PDC, so you have your hot wire connected there.

You may not want to do what I did, but I rewired everything I could through the PDC. If nothing else, it puts most of your fuses under the hood where you can easily get to them instead of having to get down and crawl under the dash to change a fuse.
If you want to install halogen or HID headlights, you can use the relays in the PDC. I also ran my horn through the horn relay in the PDC. Stop, tail, brake and fog lights were routed through the PDC.

I drilled and tapped a hole in the intake manifold to install a water temp sender for the old gauge. Also, I used the old oil pressure sending unit for my old oil pressure gauge.

While I was at it, I removed the old ammeter from the Barracuda and did away with the megasplice under the dash. This may sound kinda complicated, but it's really not. If you have any specific questions or need any further information you can always PM me and I'll get back with you.

Oh, forgot to mention. I did away with the old starter relay and used the one in the PDC. I had to connect my SOL (start) wire from the ignition switch to the PDC.

Thank you 68coupe, sadly that was what I was looking for. I hate to admit it, but wiring scares the crap out of me! Too bad I spent the money on that fancy Ron Francis harness kit. Guess I will use what I need to, and see what is left!

-
Back