OBD2/Diagnostic scanner...Matco or Snap On???

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
is one superior over the other? I don't have either right now but I'm going to have to buy one in the near future as I am going to expand our shop to doing a little car repair(s) and will need a scanner. Domestic and Japanese.

Snap-On all they way. The Snap-on stuff is so easy to use, even a customer could us it.:toothy10:

Might wanna look into which units you buy. The Solus is awesome, but its gonna cost an arm and leg

see that's just it, I'm not gonna have a full blown Dealer style shop. I'm just opening up the last 2 bays of the building to do some auto work. Got lots of requests from accounts (and one-timers alike) to do some auto work. I don't think I'm gonna need the double throwdown max zoom dweeb version out the gate. If it grows then I guess I could upgrade(?).

see that's just it, I'm not gonna have a full blown Dealer style shop. I'm just opening up the last 2 bays of the building to do some auto work. Got lots of requests from accounts (and one-timers alike) to do some auto work. I don't think I'm gonna need the double throwdown max zoom dweeb version out the gate. If it grows then I guess I could upgrade(?).
what year cars you work on really makes what system you use and limits it.

i.e. The Snap-On MT2500 is readily available fairly cheaply around the market but is limited to '86-'03 cars with the correct equipment and chips. I saw one on ebay a couple of minutes ago on fleecebay for $500

I'm happy with my Harbor Freight one. It's their "top of the line" one, which was a whopping $120 I think.

what year cars you work on really makes what system you use and limits it.

i.e. The Snap-On MT2500 is readily available fairly cheaply around the market but is limited to '86-'03 cars with the correct equipment and chips. I saw one on ebay a couple of minutes ago on fleecebay for $500
I guess we'll have to be a jack of all here. Most of my fleet customers vehicles that we'll probably be seeing are the ones out of warranty so I'm guessing about 3+ years old. All of their warranty stuff goes to the dealer(s).

I JUST got a new one off Ebay. My old Snap On was stolen before we moved out here. It's a cheapie generic but so far I am very impressed. I got the scantool reviewed here:

http://www.quadratecforum.com/showthread.php?t=98023

So far, I find it works just as the poster says. I've used a large variety of scantools over the years, as I am a mechanic by trade. This tool does a lot of things that tools costing many times more will do. I cannot really see myself getting in a pinch with it even if I were to start using it professionally, which I probably never will. While Snap On, Mac and the like have lots of bells and whistles and are nice, a generic one (as long as it has can bus capability) can and will do the job. Not only that, but I sniped mine for just a tad over 50 bucks.

Snap on modis does abs, german, reset bmw maintenance schedules, awesome but pricey

For what you'd pay for the Snap On, you could get seperate generic tools to do everything at a fraction of the cost. Why spend into oblivion on a brand name? Also keep this in mind. Airbag lights coming into a regular repair shop are a rarity. Body shops handle most of those because that's when the airbag usually goes off or gives problems. As a result of or after a collision. Not 100% of the time, but you won't see many. If you just want an airbag reset tool, they can be had under 100 bucks. Lastly, as far as "86-93" goes, forget it. I wouldn't work on anything without OBDII as far as diagnostic work. Who in their right mind is gonna pay diagnostic fees on a OBDI automobile? Most of them are in junkyards. It's up to you, but if it was my choice, I'd go cheap and upgrade if I needed to. I made a good livin on the side years ago workin on GM OBDI cars and trucks and never used a scantool. Because the ALDL plug can be jumped and put into self diagnostic mode and give you the codes. I never found one I couldn't fix, and I did that several years.

i have the matco version of this
unit.jpg

it does everything i need it to do freeze frame, pid data, readyness monitors and the newer onsed are alot better than the one i have

see it here

http://www.nemisysotc.com/

Maybe not for you, but for home garage guys who want a simple, affordable tool look at Harbor Freight. I got an OBDII scanner (for 1996+) several years ago ~$35 on sale I recall. It reads codes and resets the MIL light, plus reads the VIN, etc (if supported). You can also read codes via the ignition key and reset the MIL by disconnecting the battery, but I think the scanner gives more detailed codes.

I've used the Genysis, the Modus, the Solus, as well as a few manufacturer specific ones like the IDS, the WDS, the HyScan, the GDS, and the DRB. Right now I have the $135 Harbor Freight special. It does the basics well. I can graph 02's, read misfires, read short and long fuel trims, and a few other PIDs, as well as freeze frame and pull live data. I can even pull manufacturers specific codes. It was half the price of the same version my buddy bought from MAC and does twice as much. I will say, though, that one of these days it'll be relegated to the bottom draw in place of something with more capabilities as the money allows, such as the Genysis or the Solus. But that's in the future as the shop becomes more profitable.

Just as importantly, I think, is having a good diagnostic software available to you, one with flow charts, electrical diagrams, etc. I spend more time sitting at the computer pulling up flow charts and diagrams than with the scanner in my hand after I've gotten the codes and read the PIDs. With all the scan tool capabilities at my fingertips at the dealerships I was the same way there. Spend money on a good DMM, too.

I would buy the OTC sold by Matco. I have the OTC gensys, it is cheaper to up-date than the snap-on and does more. I have use snap-on scanners for 20 years and then switched to the OTC. I switched because of price and price of up-dates and the OTC does more for the money. I'm even thinking of buying a Nemisys to have two.

is one superior over the other? I don't have either right now but I'm going to have to buy one in the near future as I am going to expand our shop to doing a little car repair(s) and will need a scanner. Domestic and Japanese.

Apparently you don't have a Mac dealer around. Without getting into a 10 page sales pitch, we have code reader/ scan tools ranging in price from $60 to $8000.
I would recommend a Taskmaster.($1399) It does most of what the $3000 Mentor does in a smaller package and lower price. http://www.search-autoparts.com/searchautoparts/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=175007

Apparently you don't have a Mac dealer around. Without getting into a 10 page sales pitch, we have code reader/ scan tools ranging in price from $60 to $8000.
I would recommend a Taskmaster.($1399) It does most of what the $3000 Mentor does in a smaller package and lower price. http://www.search-autoparts.com/searchautoparts/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=175007
Thanks Mike. I was in no means being exclusionary with my SnapOn/Matco title, was just hitting the big 2 for illustrative purposes. The last time I tried to get with the MAC dude here on multiple occasions was like pulling dinosaur teeth. Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence and the third time is an act of war. I didn't know that I had to beg someone to come by for me to give them some of my money in return for a product. I went back to Matco who was/is Johnny on the spot when it comes to tools. But IMO this is an entirely different thing. Auto repair is not my cash cow, towing and recovering big rigs is (70%). Most of my big truck customers have small(er) support and admin vehicles too. I'm going to branch out to auto repair on a small level regardless but I just cant stand a $5000 scanner right now if you know what i mean...

I have a solus and love it. Snap-on gave me a good price on it by providing my brick for him to copy the serial # .

good stuff y'all... any of you ever heard of an Equus Innova 3160? Somethings telling me to stick with one of the big tool houses (snapon, matco, mac...)

Go with the tool man that gives you the best service. All of my friends in the business have the Solus from Snap-on. The Solus is the only I have ever used. I would be torn with who to go with because I get outstanding service from both Reps. 2 cents worth !

I own a snap on and it does a pretty good job but you might check into a website that i find to be the best diagnostic tool i have.its called indentifix and with just a code reader and this site i feel i can fix almost anything

-
Back