OBO

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
I don't quite understand why people list stuff for sale as OR BEST OFFER when it's really not I think I'll start playing with sellers and see how pissed I can make them if you want to sell something put a price on it and say offers will be considered

I always wondered if that was binding
if I get on here and say "I'm selling this for 400 OBO and some joker, lets say memike, offers me 3 dollars and he is the only one who made me offer, do I HAVE to sell it to him ?
after all, OBO means "or BEST offer", not "offer I LIKE best"

LOL. I've never been a good negotiator. For one thing if I can get the seller to set a price, and I'm pretty sure it's ridiculous, I figure if he's that far out of the ballpark, there's no sense me trynna talk him down.

I always wondered if that was binding
if I get on here and say "I'm selling this for 400 OBO and some joker, lets say memike, offers me 3 dollars and he is the only one who made me offer, do I HAVE to sell it to him ?
after all, OBO means "or BEST offer", not "offer I LIKE best"
YEP

For most buyers here, obo means best offer below the asking price.

Or best offer actually means best offer above the asking price which is in fact the best offer.

I don't quite understand why people list stuff for sale as OR BEST OFFER when it's really not I think I'll start playing with sellers and see how pissed I can make them if you want to sell something put a price on it and say offers will be considered
Ok you lost me? What the hell is the difference between OBO and offers will be considered? Same Shat!

IMO, It's seems to be a sham phrase now. These days OBO to many sellers just means they may (or may not) consider an offer lower than listed price. Use to was, if you were selling an OBO item you just wanted it gone by a certain time.

I like to ask a fair ( what I think is fair) price for whatever. BUT .... if ya have a car for sale for $1000, and anyone with half a brain would know it is very well worth $10,000 or more,,,, realize in our hiobby, .. 99% of the buyers will offer ya $400 for it! ( get getitt home and brag how they got SUCH a deal)??????. ha
I like to say " cash talks and bullshit walks" ha

IMO, It's seems to be a sham phrase now. These days OBO to many sellers just means they may (or may not) consider an offer lower than listed price. Use to was, if you were selling an OBO item you just wanted it gone by a certain time.
You all are saying the same thing! Same message! OBO means you may sell it for less if you don't get your asking price. FIRM means don't come around and offer me less, that is not an option. Why are people trying to make more out of OBO than it is!

When I was selling one of my bikes I listed it for $1000.00 "No lowballers, No BS" because it's worth every penny and more.
First guy that calls offers me 600 for it so I hung up on him.
He calls again, and say's he'd feel a lot better if he could get it for 600.00 so I hung up on him again, and calls back and leaves a message that I'm an A-hole. :D
(read the ad dumbass)

Next guy lives 2 miles away and want's "detailed pictures" of the bike from all angles.
I told him to window shop somewhere else, otherwise get off his lazy *** and come look at it.
I guess I'm just not a very good seller. LOL

Problem right now with pawnstars and all that crap right now you have the effect of that full on. Most sellers are asking WAY TOO much on purpose ($2000 for a $500 bike) because they feel like someone is going to offer them half right off the bat. And you have people trying to cut EVERYTHING in half. I once sold a welder, was asking $100, guy showed up offering $75, just to 'get a deal'

I'm looking for a kz1000 and everyone has theirs listed at about twice the price they should be (even junkers) because they know you're going to try and beat them up on price

OBO = Or best offer that I'm willing to take. Period.

It's my crap. I'll sell it for as much as I want to sell it for. If I offer something for $500 OBO, and you really need it but can only do $450. It doesn't hurt to ask. Can't know if you don't ask. If I offer something for $500 FIRM and you really need it but can only do $450, then you know you're going to waste both our time by even asking. So you don't. At least that's how it should work. Another example is I am selling a car. I want $1500 out of it. But if I put $1500 on the ad. People will try to dick me around to $1000 or lower. So I list it at $2000. I say OBO. Someone comes along and offers me $1500. I get what I want. He "saved" $500 bucks. Everyone is happy.

That said. I know what the **** I am selling is worth. And I will hold onto it till someone else who knows what it's worth will offer me that. I'm not out to gouge anyone. I always sell things at a fair price. And have never had any complaints.

You all are saying the same thing! Same message! OBO means you may sell it for less if you don't get your asking price. FIRM means don't come around and offer me less, that is not an option. Why are people trying to make more out of OBO than it is!
Lol, Its not how it was, but it is how it is NOW.
Example "$50 Or Best Offer" suggests/implies you are willing to take the best offer you are given whether it be lower or higher than your set price.
My comment was be cause you asked in post #6.

No I thing your spot on! I agree,I don't want to send you detail pictures only to never here from you again! If your really in the market for what I'm selling and your local. Come look and bring your cash! I think this attitude comes with getting older. Plus I'm fortunate. I can't ever remember EVER having to sell anything. So either pay my price or go eat shat and bark at the moon!
When I was selling one of my bikes I listed it for $1000.00 "No lowballers, No BS" because it's worth every penny and more.
First guy that calls offers me 600 for it so I hung up on him.
He calls again, and say's he'd feel a lot better if he could get it for 600.00 so I hung up on him again, and calls back and leaves a message that I'm an A-hole. :D
(read the ad dumbass)

Next guy lives 2 miles away and want's "detailed pictures" of the bike from all angles.
I told him to window shop somewhere else, otherwise get off his lazy *** and come look at it.
I guess I'm just not a very good seller. LOL

Lol, Its not how it was, but it is how it is NOW.
Example "$50 Or Best Offer" suggests/implies you are willing to take the best offer you are given whether it be lower or higher than your set price.
My comment was be cause you asked in post #6.
Tomato , Tomaaato. Your still saying the same thing.

You have 2 choices. If you want or need it that bad you'll pay the price, or keep looking for another one. Really no need to insult somebody with a ridiculous offer.

I have one shed,(10 x 20 x 7high) crammed full and overflowing into my newly built garage, of the finest sbm/A-body Mopar junk you may ever see. My buy it now price is $20,000.Can. Come down, take your own steenking pictures. This offer good for 30 days only. First guy to put the cash in my hands gets it. You will need a very long enclosed 5th wheel trailer, and two or three helpers. If you show up in 7 days, I will throw in a rusty hulk of a 68 383 FormulaS car with the vin and original engine block.You can try and low-ball me, but if I see you pull in with the trailer;good luck. If you can't get it loaded before dark, I might let you sleep in the garage.There is no lavatory in there, so leave the beer for tomorrow. BYO sleeping bags.
If you show up on day 31, you will be greeted by my wife and her shotgun, unless I can clearly see the green.She can't shoot worth chit so you have a couple of seconds to speak.
How's that for an add?

Last edited:
I have one shed,(10 x 20 x 7high) crammed full and overflowing into my newly built garage, of the finest sbm/A-body Mopar junk you may ever see. My buy it now price is $20,000.Can. Come down, take your own steenking pictures. This offer good for 30 days. First guy to put the cash in my hands gets it. You will need a very long enclosed 5th wheel trailer, and two or three helpers. If you show up in 7 days, I will throw in a rusty hulk of a 68 383 FormulaS car with the vin and original engine block.You can try and low-ball me, but if I see you pull in with the trailer;good luck. If you can't get it loaded before dark, I might let you sleep in the garage.There is no lavatory in there, so leave the beer for tomorrow. BYO sleeping bags.
How's that for an add?
lol

If I wait 31 days will you take $5k and help load? lol I only have a 5x8 so it might take several days and my help might have run off by then.

Can you send me some detailed pictures? What is your best price? Will you sell the 68 383 Formula S separate? Do you have any cop car rims if so can you send me some pictures? Are you interested in trading for something? Will you take $5000.00 cash? Are you interested in financing it? Oh and can you deliver this stuff? There did I cover all the bullshit responses?

Can you send me some detailed pictures? What is your best price? Will you sell the 68 383 Formula S separate? Do you have any cop car rims if so can you send me some pictures? Are you interested in trading for something? Will you take $5000.00 cash? Are you interested in financing it? Oh and can you deliver this stuff? There did I cover all the bullshit responses?

You forgot the "I'll be over in an hour" BS.

-
Back