Od a-833

-

Stockdog

Rock Drummer
Reaction score
Hello, New to the site. Great Place for info!!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but would like to know if boring out the small block bellhousing with the small 4.35 opening for the bearing retainer to 4.80 will weaken the bolts that hold the fork in place. I have the small block bellhousing casting number 3515 734. It appears that if I bore it to 4.80 it will be very close to the bolt holes. If I can bore it then I will have the bearing retainer on the OD tranny shaved down to 4.80 and will match the housing. Thanks

Nice idea, but it won't work unless you go with a hydraulic clutch and then I'd worry about the lack of metal in the transmission counterbore letting the trans move around. The bellhousings aren't hard to find since they were behind lots of '18s in Volare/Aspens and pickups/vans.

Lat time I did one I just changed the bearing retainer on the transmission. Others have also turned down the OD retainer.

Nice idea, but it won't work unless you go with a hydraulic clutch and then I'd worry about the lack of metal in the transmission counterbore letting the trans move around. The bellhousings aren't hard to find since they were behind lots of '18s in Volare/Aspens and pickups/vans.
I do not believe the pickup and van bellhousing will work with an OD tranny from a car (differetnt bolt pattern)

Ok, had a machinist bore the housing to 4.80 and turned the retainer down to 4.80 and is a perfect FIT!!

Wrong this is direct from Wayne at Brewers

I would not recommend trying to use in a car, pattern is for NP435 trans, and uses 11" flywheel.

Light Duty pick-ups and vans cam with A833OD trannies, and the bell housing is the same as a car bell housing and is designed for a 10.5" clutch. I agree the NP435 bell housing wouldn't work.

-
Back